Question Simple question about laptop

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Or maybe not so simple, since i cant find the answer anywhere.

GE66 Raider 10UG-261
Does this laptop use maxq or maxp 3070?

Since Nvidia decided to drop the Max-Q and Max-P mobile GPU naming, manufacturers used to list them at have removed this specs from their laptop offerings.

There were two MSI GE66 with the RTX 3070, one was listed as Max-P and another as MAx-Q.
Now there is not way of knowing, which one is which, until you get the laptop.

I have seen a couple of MSI GE66 with the RTX 3070 and they both had the Max-P version.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you can find multiple versions of that laptop, check the weight and the power of the power brick. TYPICALLY the heavier(requiring more cooling) unit and with the larger wattage brick (more power leverage) is the Max-P version.

-Wolf sends

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Since Nvidia decided to drop the Max-Q and Max-P mobile GPU naming, manufacturers used to list them at have removed this specs from their laptop offerings.

There were two MSI GE66 with the RTX 3070, one was listed as Max-P and another as MAx-Q.
Now there is not way of knowing, which one is which, until you get the laptop.

I have seen a couple of MSI GE66 with the RTX 3070 and they both had the Max-P version.
Yup, i know that those scammers dropped the naming, so im only left with only option - to go arouns internet looking for someone who maybe has same exact laptop model and knows what version of gpu is inside. Yes there is a lot msi ge66, im not very familia with laptop naming schemes, but i think the -261 part in the name directs to one exact version of the laptop where every laptop with this code will have same hardware inside. This exact laptop is 15” so im not really sure how often smaller laptops has maxp versions in them.

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
If you can find multiple versions of that laptop, check the weight and the power of the power brick. TYPICALLY the heavier(requiring more cooling) unit and with the larger wattage brick (more power leverage) is the Max-P version.

-Wolf sends
Cant really check that in online shopping

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012

-Wolf sends

This. Its also a shame that Nvidia stopped naming their MAX-Q's/MAX-p's/ and regular mobile gpus. It makes quite a bit of difference if were talking about expected performance in gaming...

This. Its also a shame that Nvidia stopped naming their MAX-Q's/MAX-p's/ and regular mobile gpus. It makes quite a bit of difference if were talking about expected performance in gaming...
ASUS, Gigabyte, Lenovo, MSI, Razer & Dell do not list any difference between their 3070 Max-P or Max-Q offerings.
The only OEM I found listing that spec, is XMG.

As Wolfshadw stated, you might be able to find out is by comparing "power capabilities " specially the AC adapter.
On the MSI Raider GE66 series (3060/3070/3080) laptops, they all come with the same battery and AC adapter...so that could be challenging to decipher.

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
ASUS, Gigabyte, Lenovo, MSI, Razer & Dell do not list any difference between their 3070 Max-P or Max-Q offerings.
The only OEM I found listing that spec, is XMG.

As Wolfshadw stated, you might be able to find out is by comparing "power capabilities " specially the AC adapter.
On the MSI Raider GE66 series (3060/3070/3080) laptops, they all come with the same battery and AC adapter...so that could be challenging to decipher.
Yes very true.

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
But i dont know the basis like whats the typical weight for maxq or something like that
I finally found a laptop(not the one i was interested in, just found) where it clearly says 3070 maxq, max power 85 w, so its safe to assume laptop with max power 140w has maxp version of 3070?

TRENDING THREADS