Question Simple question, I currently own a AW 17 R4, runs a, runs a i7-7700HQ, 16GB Ram, and GTX 1060, Upgrade and Keep? or SELL for as much as I can get.

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Simple question, I currently own a AW 17 R4, runs a i7-7700HQ, 16GB Ram, and GTX 1060. I purchased this as a desktop replacement back in 2018, I believe. My desktop, still running, has a 4670K and 970, with 32GB Ram, my First Build back in 2010.

Now my AW 17 R4 runs, but with issues, before the warranty expired, I was having some issues with one of the USB, so they replaced the motherboard and battery, (very nice of them to replace the battery). Most recently, I found the battery had bloated/expanded and pushed the keyboard up. I took it to a shop and they were able to remove the battery and I denied a replacement. I later found out, that during the course of the battery remove they ruin the wireless connectors to the wireless card, as the wireless did not work. No worries, I got a refund for the work and I will never go to them again. So I have AW 17 R4 with no battery and no wireless, (using a wireless USB currently). I am debating on investing in a new laptop to continued gaming, so games, I have priced some of the 4060 laptop about $800+ and some of the 4070/80 at about $1500. Is the 1060 still useable in 2024??

I recently purchased two laptops for my sons, which run great. so I am considering the same configuration. Intel i7-12650H with 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060, the brand I got was Gigibyte.

Should I.....

1. Sell the AW 17 R4 as working/for parts to get some $$?
2. Keep the AW 17 R4, so it would be sufficient? for another year.
3. Looking to upgrade the M.2 Drives to 2TB each, which would give me 4TB, plus the Disc Drive, (2TB), 6 TB for storage, I have a lot of steam, EPIC and uplay games.

I have recently been playing DEAD Island 2, with medium setting, getting LAG at HIGH Setting.

Is the 1060 still useable in 2024?
that fully depends on the games, the fps you expect, and the details you would like to set in-game.

most PC gamers i know wouldn't even have used the GTX 1060 at launch due to it's lacking performance.
so if that is the type of performance you would be expecting relative to now, look at some comparison charts and you may find an even cheaper modern alternative than the RTX 4060.
Keep the AW 17 R4?..no battery and no wireless, (using a wireless USB currently)
if you don't need built-in wireless aspect and don't travel with it,
why not keep it if you are happy with it's performance?

i doubt you'd get much for parts.
maybe shop around and see what others are offering price-wise for a similar setup.

if no one offers to buy;
recycling fees in some states are pretty high, so it may be better to just donate it if any would accept the damaged system.
at least possibly get some small tax right-off.

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
that fully depends on the games, the fps you expect, and the details you would like to set in-game.

most PC gamers i know wouldn't even have used the GTX 1060 at launch due to it's lacking performance.
so if that is the type of performance you would be expecting relative to now, look at some comparison charts and you may find an even cheaper modern alternative than the RTX 4060.

if you don't need built-in wireless aspect and don't travel with it,
why not keep it if you are happy with it's performance?

i doubt you'd get much for parts.
maybe shop around and see what others are offering price-wise for a similar setup.

if no one offers to buy;
recycling fees in some states are pretty high, so it may be better to just donate it if any would accept the damaged system.
at least possibly get some small tax right-off.
You make some VERY valid points. I am not much of a gamer as I used to be, but still spend an hour or more on the weekend. I am somewhat happy with it, no wireless, not an issue, just takes up one USB, the no battery, I just use it connected to a Dell WD19 dock to my 32in Monitor, allows me to use keyboard and mouse. so technically, a temporary desktop replacement. I think I will keep it for the time and list it parts, maybe get some $$ for it. Well will see, if maybe someone will be interested in the parts or repairing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
maybe just wait for a while and then build a new lower budget gaming desktop with the RTX 5000 series coming up?

compared to the i5-4670K a modern platform of the same tier would be a huge upgrade all around.
Great suggestion, but I honestly, would not want to go thur the hassle of building another desktop. The cost is just too much, in this economy. I purchased two laptops for my kids, instead of building a desktop for them, I would have paid about $500 to $600 MORE for a desktop. I would rather get a inexpensive laptop, hang on to it for maybe two or more years.

Their laptop are NOT the greatest specifications (Intel i7-12650H with 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060), but just the core components would have run about $800, CPU, MOBO, Ram and GPU.

But, it is something to consider. I am looking at some 4080 laptops, man, those are expensive, I think the lowest you can go is a 4060, if you want save. under $1K to $1500.