Simple Question regarding CName and MX

I run my own name servers for a small web-hosting service. All sites on
my server are set up so that "theirdomain.com" and "www.theirdomain.com"
will resolve to their site. I also add an MX record and a mail alias so
that they can reach my mail server using mail.theirdomain.com.

The way I do this is by adding a blank "A" record pointing to their IP:
@ A 66.11.178.116
@ MX 10 mail.mrcccox.ca.
mail CNAME mail.mrcccox.ca.
www CNAME theirdomain.com.

The way I would like to do this is different: I want to have
"theirdomain.com" an alias and "www.theirdomain.com" an alias, this way
if my IP address ever changes, I only have to change it in one zone
instead of all zones. This would work but I also need an MX record and
I am not allowed to create a blank CNAME and a blank MX record in the
same zone.

How can I have my MX record and still be able to make "theirdomain.com"
resolve to an alias?

Thanks

Mike

In news:Mc5qe.4752$tQ.4288@fe82.usenetserver.com,
Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> stated, and I replied below:
> I run my own name servers for a small web-hosting service. All sites
> on my server are set up so that "theirdomain.com" and
> "www.theirdomain.com" will resolve to their site. I also add an MX
> record and a mail alias so that they can reach my mail server using
> mail.theirdomain.com.
> The way I do this is by adding a blank "A" record pointing to their
> IP: @ A 66.11.178.116
> @ MX 10 mail.mrcccox.ca.
> mail CNAME mail.mrcccox.ca.
> www CNAME theirdomain.com.
>
> The way I would like to do this is different: I want to have
> "theirdomain.com" an alias and "www.theirdomain.com" an alias, this
> way if my IP address ever changes, I only have to change it in one
> zone instead of all zones. This would work but I also need an MX
> record and I am not allowed to create a blank CNAME and a blank MX
> record in the same zone.
>
> How can I have my MX record and still be able to make
> "theirdomain.com" resolve to an alias?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

ou can't do that because if you think about it, the MX record is a blank
host CNAME anyway.

The way I did it when I used to host, I tried to avoid CNAMES. I created a
mail A record under their domain pointing back to my mail server's IP, but
it sounds like you don't want to do it this way in case you needed to change
your mail server IP.

mydomain.com
(same as parent) MX mail.mydomain.com
mail A 192.168.10.5

theirdomain.com
mail A 192.168.10.5
(same as parent) MX mail.theirdomain.com

These days, this leads to problems with the reverse lookup, which is almost
becoming a defacto with fighting spam. I only had a PTR for 192.168.10.5
pointing to mail.mydomain.com, and if anyone is doing a*strict* check, this
wouldn't pass, only on a loose check just to make sure the IP has a PTR. But
you want to make it so you just change it in one spot and keep their domain
name.

Curious, how often, if ever, do you expect your mail server IP to change?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

I am not so worried about my mail server changing, it is pretty stable.
I have a server that I run from my Brother's house and want to
move it to my house and put it on my Cable connection. The Cable
company does not provide a static IP, but they do have an FQDN for me.
SO I have an alias in one of my zones that points to this FQDN so if the
Cable company changes my IP, my cname is still good. The server has
about 20 sites and most have multiple domain names. So if the Cable
company changes the IP and I use an A record for every zone, there will
be a lot of changes to make and some downtime while I make the changes.

My www for all zones is a cname that resolves my cable fqdn. So www
will always work for reaching the sites. I want domainname.com to work
the same way and still have an MX record for every domain that gets mail.

If I cannot resolve this issue with DNS, I guess I will have to look at
writing a script on the mail server that redirects traffic to the right
place.

Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> posted this:
> I run my own name servers for a small web-hosting service. All sites
> on my server are set up so that "theirdomain.com" and
> "www.theirdomain.com" will resolve to their site. I also add an MX
> record and a mail alias so that they can reach my mail server using
> mail.theirdomain.com.
>
> The way I do this is by adding a blank "A" record pointing to their
> IP: @ A 66.11.178.116
> @ MX 10 mail.mrcccox.ca.
> mail CNAME mail.mrcccox.ca.
> www CNAME theirdomain.com.
>
> The way I would like to do this is different: I want to have
> "theirdomain.com" an alias and "www.theirdomain.com" an alias, this
> way if my IP address ever changes, I only have to change it in one
> zone instead of all zones. This would work but I also need an MX
> record and I am not allowed to create a blank CNAME and a blank MX
> record in the same zone.
>
> How can I have my MX record and still be able to make
> "theirdomain.com" resolve to an alias?

Do not point an MX record to a CNAME, the MX record must point to the mail
server's host name on its A record and in its HELO name.

Example.
mydomain.com
@ MX mail.mydomain.com
mail A 123.456.123.456

theirdomain.com
@ MX mail.mydomain.com
mail CNAME mail.mydomain.com

You can add the CNAME for the users in theirdomain.com to access your mail
server using mail.theirdomain.com. This is only for client access and cannot
be used in the MX.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:2qhqe.4312$zW1.2162@fe47.usenetserver.com,
Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> stated, and I replied below:
> I am not so worried about my mail server changing, it is pretty
> stable. I have a server that I run from my Brother's house and want to
> move it to my house and put it on my Cable connection. The Cable
> company does not provide a static IP, but they do have an FQDN for me.
> SO I have an alias in one of my zones that points to this FQDN so if
> the Cable company changes my IP, my cname is still good. The server
> has about 20 sites and most have multiple domain names. So if the
> Cable company changes the IP and I use an A record for every zone,
> there will be a lot of changes to make and some downtime while I make
> the changes.
> My www for all zones is a cname that resolves my cable fqdn. So www
> will always work for reaching the sites. I want domainname.com to
> work the same way and still have an MX record for every domain that
> gets mail.
> If I cannot resolve this issue with DNS, I guess I will have to look
> at writing a script on the mail server that redirects traffic to the
> right place.

As Kevin pointed out, CNAMES and MX records can be problematic. You may need
to use a script as you pointed out to get this to work.

Also, I am surprised that your cable company is allowing you to run DNS,
mail and web services on their line. I thought that at least Comcast will
not allow this even on their business lines. Maybe yours is different.

Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:2qhqe.4312$zW1.2162@fe47.usenetserver.com,
> Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> stated, and I replied below:
>
>> I am not so worried about my mail server changing, it is pretty
>> stable. I have a server that I run from my Brother's house and
>> want to move it to my house and put it on my Cable connection. The Cable
>> company does not provide a static IP, but they do have an FQDN for me.
>> SO I have an alias in one of my zones that points to this FQDN so if
>> the Cable company changes my IP, my cname is still good. The server
>> has about 20 sites and most have multiple domain names. So if the
>> Cable company changes the IP and I use an A record for every zone,
>> there will be a lot of changes to make and some downtime while I make
>> the changes.
>> My www for all zones is a cname that resolves my cable fqdn. So www
>> will always work for reaching the sites. I want domainname.com to
>> work the same way and still have an MX record for every domain that
>> gets mail.
>> If I cannot resolve this issue with DNS, I guess I will have to look
>> at writing a script on the mail server that redirects traffic to the
>> right place.
>

> As Kevin pointed out, CNAMES and MX records can be problematic. You may
> need to use a script as you pointed out to get this to work.
>
> Also, I am surprised that your cable company is allowing you to run DNS,
> mail and web services on their line. I thought that at least Comcast
> will not allow this even on their business lines. Maybe yours is different.
>
> Ace

My Cable company allows some services now, but I am not sure that I
trust them to keep their promise. I now run everything on DSL and I use
Cable as a backup line in the house. I am not going to run DNS on the
cable line because the IP is not static. If I move the server onto the
Cable, it will only be for Web hosting on port 80 and FTP on 21...
Nothing else. I am just not sure if my Cable will work well enough and
if my inexpensive router will handle it. I am going to give it a shot
but not until I have a good contingency plan in place. I use Rogers Cable.

In news:23tre.4682$uT5.4409@fe18.usenetserver.com,
Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> stated, and I replied below:
> My Cable company allows some services now, but I am not sure that I
> trust them to keep their promise. I now run everything on DSL and I
> use Cable as a backup line in the house. I am not going to run DNS
> on the cable line because the IP is not static. If I move the server
> onto the Cable, it will only be for Web hosting on port 80 and FTP on
> 21... Nothing else. I am just not sure if my Cable will work well enough
> and if my inexpensive router will handle it. I am going to give it a shot
> but not until I have a good contingency plan in place. I use Rogers
> Cable.

You'll have to post in a forum asking if Rogers will allow web services.
Most cable companies I am aware of do not.

Good luck!

Ace

I asked them up front when I got the line and they said no problem. I
am paying for a corporate account.

In news:J0Ase.1$hi3.0@fe66.usenetserver.com,
Mike Cox <mcox@mcox.ca> stated, and I replied below:
> I asked them up front when I got the line and they said no problem. I
> am paying for a corporate account.

Good deal. I wish Comcast would do that around here!

Ace