[SOLVED] Simple question regarding the CPU plugs on motherboard...

Mar 17, 2020
Hello folks, I'm new here but I'm not new to computers. I've only built one computer in my life (pic below), and that was back in 2003. Ultimately, I had to replace the mobo in 2009, and it's been smooth sailing all the way up to Jan 14th of 2020, when Microsoft dropped support for Windows 7 Ultimate. So I installed Windows 10, and this computer's components simply don't jive with W10 AT ALL. In the end, my present status is that, building a computer back then is quite divorced from building one today. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a COMPLETE idiot, but I have a question regarding this build.

So I'm building a new computer, with the 3 following critical components...

1) Motherboard: GigaByte X299 Designare EX

2) Corsair RM850x Power Supplly

3) Core i9 10900X

Here is my question (regardless of how stupid it is): On my current motherboard (which is 11 years old), I only have one connector for the CPU on the motherboard - from the power supply to the motherboard.
However on my new mobo, I have 2 (4 + 4 pin) CPU power intakes.

While this will be a relatively powerful PC, it is not a gaming rig. Can you cats chime in and help a not-so-no0b prospective PC builer out?

Thank you very much, I look forward to any correspondence.

- Fallen

Solution
Go to YouTube and type in "PC build Guide 2020". I have seen at least 3 by well know content creators that really walk you through, step by step, just in recent weeks.

By and large if you pay attention to the board and your power supply, drives, memory, etc. each bit of it is shaped/keyed in such a way that it's almost impossible to plug anything into the wrong place. Most new PSU have labeled cables (lol). It's, if anything, easier to build now.

PC Parts Picker is handy for checking known compatibility.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Go to YouTube and type in "PC build Guide 2020". I have seen at least 3 by well know content creators that really walk you through, step by step, just in recent weeks.

By and large if you pay attention to the board and your power supply, drives, memory, etc. each bit of it is shaped/keyed in such a way that it's almost impossible to plug anything into the wrong place. Most new PSU have labeled cables (lol). It's, if anything, easier to build now.

Solution

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
If you have been fine with a CPU from 2003 for so long, why do you suddenly need an HEDT CPU now?

With most of these dual 4+4 motherboards, you can use a single 4+4 connector. The second one is really only meant for overclocking with extreme high core counts.

Mar 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reactions: punkncat
Mar 17, 2020
If you have been fine with a CPU from 2003 for so long, why do you suddenly need an HEDT CPU now?

With most of these dual 4+4 motherboards, you can use a single 4+4 connector. The second one is really only meant for overclocking with extreme high core counts.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. The CPU I've had since 2003 is a Wolfdale 8400 (if my memory serves me correct.) And to address your question, it's just that I want to build something that will last. I suppose you get what you pay for. However, let me put it another way. Over at my mom's place, she's got like 4 Dell computers that are totally antiquated and so out of date. One of them dates back to W98 (I know), the rest are XP, and one W7. She spent a considerable amount of money for each, and would not let me build her one. So finally, about 2.5 years ago, we got her a computer from NewEgg, and she likes it more than any other.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in, I really apprecite it, and I figured this was the case but had to ask. Thanks to all of you! :)

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
The Core 2 Duo E8400 is from 2008 and should normally work with Windows 10 just fine, but performance wise it may be due for replacement.

If you haven't already bought your new hardware, I suggest you take a look at a Ryzen 3700X with good B450 board instead of such an expensive CPU and platform. Performance is awfully similar for a much lower price.

Mar 17, 2020
The Core 2 Duo E8400 is from 2008 and should normally work with Windows 10 just fine, but performance wise it may be due for replacement.

If you haven't already bought your new hardware, I suggest you take a look at a Ryzen 3700X with good B450 board instead of such an expensive CPU and platform. Performance is awfully similar for a much lower price.

Well put, but I'll learn how to handle this PC. I know it may be overkill, but I intend to tinker with it a lot, learn more, do more, and yes, I bought a decent graphics card that, as I've always wanted to play, DOOM 2016, and I'm sure this card will suffice.

I have a have a Corsair 760T case (black). I really, REALLY wanted the white one, but they were all either refurbished or sold from overseas. There were people that bought this exact case from overseas and said that, to put it bluntly, got totally raped in customs both leaving (Itally), and customs in the USA. PASS.

And while the 8400 "functions" on Windows 10, it's the rest of the hardware that is underscored. Besides, I think that after having a particular build for 17 years, I think it's time for a new one, that will last a long time.

This is my current unit...

4IZPeiB.jpg