[SOLVED] Simple question. (Yes I am a dummy)

_score

Honorable
Dec 15, 2014
Heya Guy's,

Managed to get a i7 4770k for £20. In my current system I have a i5 4570. If I want to swap the cpu's over will I need to purchase and update anything or will this cause me any headaches? I am assuming it's just a click and flip scenario?

Many Thanks :)

_score

Solution
Cool master tx3 evo to answer the above, won't be oc'd just stock voltages.

Im guessing a 90mm fan plus a ~306grs heatsink (fan weight not included) should be better than the stock Core i5 cooler.

As long as you have thermal paste and alcohol to clean the old one and put some new I think it should be fine. Not the greatest choice for a Core i7 but it should run. Keep an eye on the CPU temp !

Lutfij

Titan
Well, in order to properly answer the question, we'll need to know your current system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

If you've got a Z87 or Z97 board, you should be good to drop it in(but a BIOS update is always a good thing).

I5 4570 -> I7 4770K
Asus 787- Pro Mobo
1tb Hardrive (Games and junk
256 Kingston ssd (operating system and the like)
GTX 970
Win 10

Edit 12gb ram.

:)

What about the CPU cooler?, cause having a compatible motherboard is good, but if you don't have a proper cooler you may run into temp issues.

What cooler do you have for the i7?, the stock cooler form the i5 4470 may not be good enough.

Also, Do you have thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste and install the new CPU?

Simple/cheaper cooler you can get for an i7 477K -> DeepCool Gammaxx 400 (for example)

Cool master tx3 evo to answer the above, won't be oc'd just stock voltages.

Im guessing a 90mm fan plus a ~306grs heatsink (fan weight not included) should be better than the stock Core i5 cooler.

As long as you have thermal paste and alcohol to clean the old one and put some new I think it should be fine. Not the greatest choice for a Core i7 but it should run. Keep an eye on the CPU temp !

Reactions: _score
Solution