Simple questions about FPS

chris96993

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I'm a noob when it comes to hardware, and have a few questions about FPS.

Here is my rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

So I only play fortnite, and standard fps settings are at 60. My 1900 600 monitor refreshes at 60 also. I never drop below 60 fps, so I think I can handle it fine.

1. Is increasing the fps to 120 pointless since my monitor won't show it?

2. Many pros turn off shadows, anti asailing, vsync, textures etc to improve their fps. Is this pointless for me, since again the monitor is refreshing at 60? I turned down many settings trying to see if there is a difference, the game doesn't look as great anymore

3. Does it take a toll on any hardware if I run at 120fps opposed to 60, or should you also run on highest possible

Thank you for any input

Solution
If your monitor is has an refresh rate of 60Hz then going past 60 fps is a "waste"
I myself have an 60Hz panel and can not feel any difference if I have an fps of 80-90 or 160 - 200++

Only thing to look out for is the 1% low`s that can drop into the 20 - 30 fps if your computer struggle to maintain the constant +60 fps.

Another reason to turn of the "eye candy" is to NOT try and get the low fps dips that can happen if alot is happening on the screen. And that is ofc at the point where you want it the least to happen. Like in a heavy fire fight.

That did answer point 1 and 2.

point 3: No it does not take a toll on your hardware. Dont worry.

PuperHacker

Honorable
1. Anytihng above 60fps won't be depicted on a 60Hz screen. You even may notice tearing. Cap your fps to 60.
2. They do so to improve their fps. Since you can reach 60fps, you should maximize your experience with the max settings that your system can handle. btw V-sync is used to cap fps to 60, so they disable it to get more fps, usually in monitors with higher refresh rates.
3. What do you mean run 120fps? It won't harm your hardware to fully exploit it to get max performance, but why do it?

If your monitor is has an refresh rate of 60Hz then going past 60 fps is a "waste"
I myself have an 60Hz panel and can not feel any difference if I have an fps of 80-90 or 160 - 200++

Only thing to look out for is the 1% low`s that can drop into the 20 - 30 fps if your computer struggle to maintain the constant +60 fps.

Another reason to turn of the "eye candy" is to NOT try and get the low fps dips that can happen if alot is happening on the screen. And that is ofc at the point where you want it the least to happen. Like in a heavy fire fight.

That did answer point 1 and 2.

point 3: No it does not take a toll on your hardware. Dont worry.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS