Simple setup for New Windows 10 PC

shorembo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I just got a ACER Aspire E 15 with Windows 10. As expected, there are a lot of programs loaded on the laptop.

With my old XP desktop, I simplified the management to:
* Microsoft Security Essentials ran on startup
* MalwareBytes - I ran this periodically if I thought I had a problem
* CCCleaner - I used this to keep stuff from running at startup. Used it for restore points also.
* Carbonite - My backup system
Also, I had a Windows XP install CD. I ended up using it once, and with carbonite I got back up and running fairly fast.

With Windows 10...
1. Do I need to setup any security in Windows 10 for things like virus checking, firewall, or adware (similar to Microsoft Security)?
2. Does CCCleaner work with Windows 10? If this worked similar to the XP version, I could clean up the crapware with it.
3. I tried to make a USB Windows bootup using Rufus but it doesn't look like I have an ISO file. It seems a bootup usb would come in handy.

Thanks for any help...

Solution
1. defender does AV & firewall automatically if you don't install another one. I am not sure it does Adware but most browsers do that and you can run addons to cover most of it now.
2. Yes
3. you don't need to use rufus, just burn a usb using https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 it will do it all for you.

Okay, 3 makes the Win 10 install disc, not a boot disc, but you can boot from this and then choose repair computer rather than Install now. It is the same menu.

You can also get into advanced start menu by spamming F8 at start up.

If you download a new ISO every time you reinstall Windows 10 you will always have latest version.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. defender does AV & firewall automatically if you don't install another one. I am not sure it does Adware but most browsers do that and you can run addons to cover most of it now.
2. Yes
3. you don't need to use rufus, just burn a usb using https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 it will do it all for you.

Okay, 3 makes the Win 10 install disc, not a boot disc, but you can boot from this and then choose repair computer rather than Install now. It is the same menu.

You can also get into advanced start menu by spamming F8 at start up.

If you download a new ISO every time you reinstall Windows 10 you will always have latest version.

Solution