Simple Solution for HD4850 cRash !!

adisin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I got a E8400 Core2duo, having crashes with 4850...... NO moRE!!
GO TO Run/type msconfig/then goto boot..... and select the nos. of processors to 1. and reboot.

this restricts ur pc to only one core but the crashes disappear!!

is ATI listening????

lemme know ur experiences!!

Peptoid

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Is it some kind of joke ? So you have to disable 1 core to make the graphic card work ? This is insane ! So you buy an expensive CPU but you can't use it at his full capacity ? Just because of some crappy graphic card ?

When I buy something, I expect it to work right away, I don't want to wait a couple of months for good drivers to come out.

vadim

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
most problems are install related so before shutting cores you better just reinstall windows or something.

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
disabling one core is really not the answer..

If thats the answer then this card maybe has a name but its one crap .

I run 8800GT and it behave great.
this HD 4850 is just not worth the money if this is the case.

Noam

adisin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
till these buggers do sumthing like release a good fix....
njoy with this method or change the grapic card.
do sumthing but be at pe4ce with urself.
p34c3 0ut.

geekrawk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
this might be a useful update for people experiencing crashes on the HD4850.

i am running the following:
ASUS M4A78 Pro motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 920 processor
4gb Corsair RAM
Windows XP SP3
Dual Viewsonic 17" wide displays
Acbel 450w PSU unit

i was experiencing crashes with Assassin's Creed, but put it down to buggy software (after reading some forums on the game).

after installing Terminator Salvation and still getting crashes (sometimes BSOD, sometimes no signal, sometimes vertical banding),

i finally decided to do something about it.

i spent some time reading game and hardware forums and decided that there were several issues that could be causing the crashes:
- driver issues
- temperature issues
- PSU issues

temperature wasn't a problem for me (idling at 55degrees, running COD4 and 5 pushed it up to 70degrees max). since i couldn't get

better cooling, i took of the side of my casing and directed a fan at the insides as a short term fix.

i spent the past 3 days taking care of the driver issues, uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling ad infinitum, like a good boy, i had

installed all the drivers and mobo-related utilities on the installation CDs (SmartDoctor, EPU, Cool n Quiet, GamerOSD, AMD

OverDrive etc), but still nothing. i also downloaded and updated all my drivers, cleaning the old ones out first with Driver

Cleaner Pro. i also tried endless combinations of old (stable?) drivers with newer updates. NOTHING WORKED.

FINALLY, an hour ago, something worked!

- i used CCleaner to remove ASUS GamerOSD, AI Suite, SmartDoctor and EPU from starting up (catalyst 9.9 starts up as usual), just

in case i would need them later.

- next, reboot and went into bios and changed the AI Tweaker > AI Overclocking setting to MANUAL and left the default values as is.

- went into my OS and booted up Assassin's Creed and actually played it without crashing for an hour!

my next step would be to reinstall Terminator Salvation and try it out. IF it works, i will reinstall all the ASUS software overclocking crap. if anyone else has issues with your HD4850 crashing, please try this out.

TRENDING THREADS