sims 2 Inviting over on community lots?

I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do this?
I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there was a
standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him just call
a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop wrote:
> I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
> and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
> person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
> payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do this?
> I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there was a
> standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him just call
> a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

If you have University, you can have him buy a cell phone. I don't think
you would get that "want" if there wasn't a way to fulfill it.

Jeanie

Paul Heslop wrote:

> I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
> and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
> person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
> payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do this?
> I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there was a
> standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him just call
> a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Cell phone?

-georg

Jeanie wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
> > and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
> > person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
> > payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do this?
> > I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there was a
> > standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him just call
> > a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
>
> If you have University, you can have him buy a cell phone. I don't think
> you would get that "want" if there wasn't a way to fulfill it.
>
> Jeanie

I have university but as far as I know you can't run them both beside
each other? I don't want to play a game based in a university, I just
want to play in little places like Sims 2.

do you lose everything, parents and homes etc, from sims 2 when you
install University?
--

georg wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
> > and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
> > person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
> > payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do this?
> > I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there was a
> > standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him just call
> > a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
> >

> Cell phone?
>
> -georg

I haven't seen a cell phone in sims 2 Georg. jeanie says there is one
in University, but I don't want to lose the game I am already playing
if I install university.
--

Paul Heslop wrote:

> I have university but as far as I know you can't run them both beside
> each other? I don't want to play a game based in a university, I just
> want to play in little places like Sims 2.
>
> do you lose everything, parents and homes etc, from sims 2 when you
> install University?

You do not have to send any Sims to University or play in the University.

If you have a good install, you don't lose anything, not family or
homes, or your towns. However, it's buggy, and not many folks are having
flawless installs. My own was far from perfect.

-georg

georg wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> >
> > I have university but as far as I know you can't run them both beside
> > each other? I don't want to play a game based in a university, I just
> > want to play in little places like Sims 2.
> >
> > do you lose everything, parents and homes etc, from sims 2 when you
> > install University?
>
> You do not have to send any Sims to University or play in the University.
>
> If you have a good install, you don't lose anything, not family or
> homes, or your towns. However, it's buggy, and not many folks are having
> flawless installs. My own was far from perfect.
>
> -georg

I just read the little booklet and was just thinking it seems to run
alongside. Thanks for the warning Georg... I noticed it says I should
save my sims2 files before installing university, just in case, do you
know what files I have to save?

--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> georg wrote:
>>
>> Paul Heslop wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed a couple of times when I have a sim on a community lot
>>> and he has a spouse/friend etc at home he has a want to invite that
>>> person over, yet it says he has to have access to a phone and the
>>> payphone only lets him call a taxi. Is there a special way to do
>>> this? I tried putting another phone on the lots to make sure there
>>> was a standard phone or even another pay phone which would let him
>>> just call a sim but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Cell phone?
>>
>> -georg
>
> I haven't seen a cell phone in sims 2 Georg. jeanie says there is one
> in University, but I don't want to lose the game I am already playing
> if I install university.

You won't lose anything by adding University and you don't have to actually
send students to university if you install the game, either. You will have
to start the game with the University CD (instead of the Sims2) but it
starts just like it always did.

The installation didn't mess anything up for me but my downloads. Just to
be on the safe side, I backed up my entire Sims2 folder (the one in My
Documents) on my desktop, but I didn't lose any of my houses or families
after the installation. I removed my entire downloads folder, though,
because the game wouldn't start with it still in there. I found it easier
to just go download stuff again rather than try to weed through nearly 2 gig
of stuff in that folder.

Jeanie

Jeanie wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > georg wrote:

> >> Cell phone?
> >>
> >> -georg
> >
> > I haven't seen a cell phone in sims 2 Georg. jeanie says there is one
> > in University, but I don't want to lose the game I am already playing
> > if I install university.
>
> You won't lose anything by adding University and you don't have to actually
> send students to university if you install the game, either. You will have
> to start the game with the University CD (instead of the Sims2) but it
> starts just like it always did.
>
> The installation didn't mess anything up for me but my downloads. Just to
> be on the safe side, I backed up my entire Sims2 folder (the one in My
> Documents) on my desktop, but I didn't lose any of my houses or families
> after the installation. I removed my entire downloads folder, though,
> because the game wouldn't start with it still in there. I found it easier
> to just go download stuff again rather than try to weed through nearly 2 gig
> of stuff in that folder.
>
> Jeanie

I hadn't done any downloads but a quick look around told me if I did
before installing it was a good idea to clear it out. I took the
plunge and just bought my first mobile phone, after working out you
had to buy a kiosk to do it :O) Nice to have some extra (if tacky)
stuff to mess around with.