springflower13

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I want to buy a computer with the specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM
Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
750gb HDD
windows 7 premium

would it work well to plays sims expansions???

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Agreed with Darksable, that system will run sims 3 and its expansions fine, but higher level graphics will slow it down a little bit, as the graphics card isn't super fast.

springflower13

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Other than this laptop, theres another that im considering, the salesperson said it's similiar except it it's a little more expensive than this,but the specs are :
OS is Windows 8, intel core i7m 3610QM (2.3ghz, 6mb cache)
4gb ddr3 750gb
nvidia 640M 2GB DD3

is it any difference than the first laptop specs i posted?should i just stick to the one with 630M and upgrade the ram to 8gb ?

Well... the 640M isn't a very big upgrade to the 630M, and it's not needed for the Sims. Other than that, the more expensive laptop comes with windows 8, which a lot of us still don't like very much and can have... issues.

I personally would go with the cheaper one - and you might not even need to upgrade the ram, though if you're doing upgrades, consider buying a SSD to throw in there. It'll make the thing feel twice as fast when you're doing anything other than gaming. (And no, I'm not exaggerating. It's a HUGE difference.)

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

2nd one is much stronger, and it has 2GB of vram, which does help sims 3 alot, if you can, upgrade the memory on the 2nd one to 8GB and it will do quite well.

In that case, go with the first one. No reason to spend more money for such little gains.

A SSD is like a hard drive, but it has no moving parts, which means it can't be damaged by shock of dropping the computer, and it is about ten times faster than a normal laptop hard drive, which means your computer feels WAY faster and more responsive, and it uses a fraction of the power, which means you get more battery life.