[SOLVED] Simultaneous fried HDMI ports on GPU and mobo (User plugged them into each other)

ryandward

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
I am unsure if this is even possible, but can you fry two HDMI-out ports by plugging them into each other? I am currently troubleshooting a build I did, and the first thing I noted was that a very long HDMI cable was draped over the desk and then back into itself (GPU to CPU).

Neither HDMI port works now, but when I used an old card to test out the rest of the system -- it works just fine.

Here's a rundown of the build:
  • Board: Asus ROG z370-e
  • CPU: Intel 8700k i7 (With integrated graphics)
  • Graphics: Sapphire AMD 580 (fried) -- EVGA Nvidia 760 GTX (donor)
  • PSU: EVGA 850 Gold
  • RAM: 4×8GB vengeance (32GB)
I would have guessed that the components would be more resilient, but then again, I've never heard of anybody doing this before.

Am I crazy or could these ports be fried?

Also -- is it possible to fix these pieces by soldering? I'd like to attempt it, but I can't really think of what to google for tips.

Solution
Not a real surprise that it would cause damage. One pin, 18 I think, has 5 volts at 55 mA. Power to power is not a good connection. I strongly suspect the ports are toast.

I would check the DP and DVI-D on the 580 as those may well be fine.

That user deserves a computer Darwin award special mention. ;)

RealBeast

Titan
Not a real surprise that it would cause damage. One pin, 18 I think, has 5 volts at 55 mA. Power to power is not a good connection. I strongly suspect the ports are toast.

I would check the DP and DVI-D on the 580 as those may well be fine.

That user deserves a computer Darwin award special mention. ;)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS