Question Since the 3090's Memory Junction only has passive cooling...

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
I am looking to put two 40mm noctua fans by the right side of the GPU's backplate to provide active cooling to the area where the memory chips are.

I have only seen people place a fan on top of the backplate however I need some ideas for a stand or a base in which the two 40mm fans can be placed on whilst next to the GPU;
kIfTAudh.jpg

*If somebody can also please answer this for me, my fan came with a splitter cable that goes into the motherboard. If I am to plug in these two fans into the splitter with each fan being 12V onto the CHA_FAN2 on the MOBO, is this safe?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The fan splitter will be fine. You want to increase airflow through the vertical fins of the heatsink which would mean putting fans above or below the card as people have been doing. Increasing airflow perpendicular to the fins would probably reduce the flow through the fins making cooling worse.

Don't know about the model you have, but for FE 3090's, replacing the thermal pads made a huge difference.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
The fan splitter will be fine. You want to increase airflow through the vertical fins of the heatsink which would mean putting fans above or below the card as people have been doing. Increasing airflow perpendicular to the fins would probably reduce the flow through the fins making cooling worse.

Don't know about the model you have, but for FE 3090's, replacing the thermal pads made a huge difference.

Im using the ASUS ROG STRIX, so you dont think I should put a fan standing to the right side of the GPU aiming air going into the level of the memory chips?

And sorry should the fan ontop of the GPU be blowing air into the GPU Die or exhausting air from there?