[SOLVED] Single 3600 Or Dual 2400 For Gaming

Solution
Well you have to have a motherboard capable of overclocking first. Then you have to consider the timings and voltage. It may be that that RAM can reach 3600, but you would most certainly have to loosen timings (C16 or C17 or even C18) and possibly increase voltage, but voltage is already at 1.35V so I wouldn't really recommend it. Anything past 3200 seems to have diminishing returns as far as cost/performance ratio is concerned.
Yes, but depends on the game. It reduces memory bandwidth by 50% and can reduce performance by a noticeable amount in some games. Plus it's not good to mix RAM sticks that didn't come in a kit because they might not work properly together. So, there's no good reason to get a single-channel kit for a gaming system.

Brooksey

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
OK I just put my 16gb on ebay, to buy this ram Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) . About overclocking the corsair, can ram go from 3000 to 3600 with no problems? Or is it likely to be 3200 etc

Also is it me or has overclocking ram become more the norm then say the ddr3 times.

Well you have to have a motherboard capable of overclocking first. Then you have to consider the timings and voltage. It may be that that RAM can reach 3600, but you would most certainly have to loosen timings (C16 or C17 or even C18) and possibly increase voltage, but voltage is already at 1.35V so I wouldn't really recommend it. Anything past 3200 seems to have diminishing returns as far as cost/performance ratio is concerned.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS