Single 8 GB stick vs 1 x 4 GB + 1 x 8 GB

TheGarrett

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016
Hello,

I've been looking at a laptop for school and there's an option to upgrade from a single stick of 8 GB to 12 GB(1 x 4 GB + 1 x 8 GB) or to 16 GB( 2 x 8 GB). The option for the first upgrade is $80(12 GB), $160 for the second(16 GB). The most demanding thing I'll be running is AutoCAD, with mostly 2D work. I don't plan to game extensively on the laptop so that's not much of an issue.

I'm willing to pay the $80 extra for the 12 GB but I'm not sure if running a 8 GB stick with a 4 GB stick will be worth the money. Will the 4 GB just limit the 8 GB stick? I would prefer two sticks of ram to run in dual channel but don't really know which option is best.

Should I stick with the 8 GB single stick or upgrade to one of the other options?

Also it is SDRAM 2400 MHz if that helps.

Thanks,

Garrett

Solution
You would basically be paying double the retail price of RAM for those "upgrades".
I personally would run it with the basic RAM setup, and upgrade it yourself later if you have to, as RAM prices are expected to drop.

TheGarrett

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016

Thank you for your quick answer. Is it easy to find and install RAM for a laptop? I've only ever worked with desktops and didn't know you could upgrade a laptop.

TheGarrett

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016

Thanks for the help! Have a great day!

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Definitely not ideal even though it may work. Matched sticks are always the best route. I would go as large as you can afford because the older the ram is in terms of specs.... the prices really get jacked up beyond believe.