Question Single channel memory

Mar 23, 2019
Hello all,

I just purchased my first gaming PC and realize my PC build came with only 1x 16Gb Ram. I know this is called single memory channel but would it be too late to purchase another exact ram and make it a dual memory channel ram?

I have read a few threads saying how it would be too late already as I have already started using the single channel ram and if I do want to change it to dual channel memory. I should either purchase a set of 2x 8gb rams, or 2x 16gb rams. However 32Gb rams in total is too excessive from other threads I have read.

My PC is a few days old and thinking is it too late to purchase another 16gb ram to make it dual channel memory.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
mixing RAM is a gamble especially for Dual channel RAM.
I suggest buying the set of RAM you want and sell the stick you have now.
Matched sets of RAM are factory matched and guaranteed to work together. trying to mix modules is difficult and in my experience buggy, better to get the RAM that made to work together.

What are the specs of the PC? For some setups, having dual-channel can make more of a difference than with others.

I have read a few threads saying how it would be too late already as I have already started using the single channel ram and if I do want to change it to dual channel memory.
The only real issue with adding a second stick later, is that if its performance doesn't perfectly match that of the original stick, you could potentially run into stability issues. When manufacturers sell a dual-channel kit of RAM, they test the two sticks to make sure that they perform well together. When adding a second stick later, there's a chance that they won't play well together.