Question Single channel to Dual channel on MSI Z270 Gaming M3

Nov 25, 2019
Hey all,

I've recently discovered the difference between runnin dual\single channel.

Made sure my mobo supports it and all, bought an identical stick: CMK16GX4M1B30000C15

Setup:
Bought 2 years ago
620w antec neo eco
i7 7700k
2 hard drives + 3 ssds (i'm a horader.. )
rtx 2080

Ram setup:
1st stick is installed on dimma2
2nd stick got installed on dimmb2

Troubleshooting done so far:
system powers up, and the light that indicates RAM failure lights up.

Removed ram from dimmb2. system boots up all well and dandy.

Installed ram on dimma2 now, so I have dimma1 and dimma2 now - and now it works. so i guess no problem with the newer stick?

So after that I've tried a bunch of other configurations, what turns out is that none of the dimmb slots seem to work.
The onboard led indictaors (or as msi would like to call them... the EZ DEBUG LEDs facepalmsoutofexistance.jpg) always show RAM failure when inserted in dimmb slots...

Am I doing something wrong? it doesn't seem like the 2nd stick is at fault as I've tried to boot with only the newer one and it works.

Please hulp, I want my dual channel performance :(

If a memory slot is not working on an Intel board, it usually means there is probably bent CPU pins in the CPU socket. It should be an easy fix of lightly bending it back into position with a sewing needle or something of similar size. Toothpicks made of wood, bamboo or plastic can sometimes work.

well I took apart the beast of an air cooler and.. I have not found any bent pins. I've YouTubed a little to see how it looks like.
here are some pictures anyways:
If you're smoker and you have had the system for awhile, it's possible there is too much buildup of residue and dust on the memory slot contacts and needs to be cleaned or the cigarette smoke residue has degraded the material on board.

Reactions: Shmlonathans
I've upgraded bios, now it works. but the speeds are really slow.. here's a picture from HWinfo:
View: https://imgur.com/a/a9j9FAQ
What have you change for manual frequency, timings and voltage? Did you only try using the XMP profiles? Try manually setting the ram to 1.35v and frequency to 2933Mhz (1466Mhz) or 3000Mhz (1500) with timings set to 15-17-17-35 tRC 53 and leave everything else on auto. Follow the other timings and frequencies listed in HWInfo or in the bios to use lower settings. Make sure to follow voltage settings and don't exceed .015v if you set to 1.35v already. Settings that use 1.2v can be set higher, but you shouldn't need higher than 1.26v for frequencies at or under 2666Mhz.