Single channel vs Dual channel RAM memory

Jun 17, 2018
Hello there!

First of all allow me to give you the specs of my system, as I'm not sure whether the other parts are important or not when we look at RAM.
I have an HP Omen 2017 gaming laptop with an i7 processor of 7700HQ with a turbo boost of 3800MHz, 120IPS dislay of 17.3 inches, 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD than runs the OS (win10), and an 8GB graphics card called nVidia GTX 1070 GDDR5.
This laptop came with two slots of RAM and only one is occupied, it has an 8GB RAM stick that is SSODIM (whatever that means) and 2400MHz.
I would like to upgrade to 16GB of RAM and I found an 8GB stick that comes solo and that has exactly the same specs (SSODIM 2400MHz). But one thing that creates confusion in my head is that there is one more thing mentioned at the specs of this solo stick, and that is ''single channel configuration''.
I have noticed that most RAM for laptops is sold in sets of two sticks. For example if you want 16GB, you will have to buy a set of 2x8GB. I'm guessing that those are dual channel?
And my question is, should i buy that single channel stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM, will it work in my laptop, will it join power with the existing one to form 16GB, or do I need to but a set that says ''dual channel'', and then I get 2x8GB and will have to take out the one in my laptop to add these two, or just leave it in and add one of the two from the set? Either way i would have to buy an extra stick that (i hope) I don't need.
Thank you and best regards!
Andy

Solution
Ram sold in set of 2 kits are designed to run in dual channel. Your best option here is to sell your current ram and buy a kit of 2x8gb to ensure they will work in dual channel.
If you decide to pair your current ram with a single ram that shares the same specs, it is highly possible they will also work fine in dual channel, but is not guaranteed. It is also possible they may not work at all together or just give errors.
Ram sold in set of 2 kits are designed to run in dual channel. Your best option here is to sell your current ram and buy a kit of 2x8gb to ensure they will work in dual channel.
If you decide to pair your current ram with a single ram that shares the same specs, it is highly possible they will also work fine in dual channel, but is not guaranteed. It is also possible they may not work at all together or just give errors.

Solution
Jun 17, 2018

I see. Thank you for the answer!