News Single-Core PC Breaks Post-Quantum Encryption Candi Algorithm in One Hour

davidjao

Prominent
Aug 2, 2022
There are some inaccuracies in this article. The $50000 bounty mentioned in the article was not sponsored by NIST; it was provided by Microsoft. The article also does not clearly distinguish between the four algorithms selected as replacement standards by NIST and the four additional algorithms selected as candidates for further study; these two collections of four algorithms each are separate sets of algorithms.

InvalidError

Titan
In science and engineering, many complex problems in the time domain become trivial in the frequency domain and vice-versa.

I'm getting the vibe that something similar may happen between quantum and classic computing.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
It would be quite ironic if the requirements for encryption to be quantum resistant would make it easily susceptible to classic computers and algorithms.
True, but we don't even know if these two algorithms were indeed quantum-resistant.

Yet, the question stands: just how much intersection exists between quantum-resistant and classical-resistant algorithms. I expect anyone solving such a conjecture deserves a fair bit more than $50k!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
BTW, I expect the title really means "single-threaded program" breaks post-quantum encryption, but I can't read it without thinking how far back you'd have to go to find a single-core x86 CPU! Would it be from the Core2 generation?

InvalidError

Titan
BTW, I expect the title really means "single-threaded program" breaks post-quantum encryption, but I can't read it without thinking how far back you'd have to go to find a single-core x86 CPU! Would it be from the Core2 generation?
They probably meant: "single-threaded algorithm breaks post-quantun crypto."

Doesn't matter how many extra cores a CPU has if you don't use them.

The AMD A6-9400 based on Bristol Ridge was released in 2019 and is a 1c/2t CPU. If you want something that was without SMT or CMT it would be Core2 era from Intel or Phenom era from AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015

You can rent single core single thread (1C1T) Compute Engine from the cloud provider.

InvalidError

Titan
You can rent single core single thread (1C1T) Compute Engine from the cloud provider.
I can only imagine people renting a 1C virtual servers to run lightweight private servers independently from their home/office internet connection. Doesn't make much sense for actual compute that doesn't need online connectivity since your department likely has several PCs many times as powerful.

I can only imagine people renting a 1C virtual servers to run lightweight private servers independently from their home/office internet connection. Doesn't make much sense for actual compute that doesn't need online connectivity since your department likely has several PCs many times as powerful.
I've used those for testing outside connections into our data center. Since we do some small cloud hosting, customers need VPN connections. Every one in a while I would get a support ticket saying "I cannot connect xyz..." I could test the external access to their network from a cheap AWS 1c/1t system. Usually it was a PEBCAK issue.

TRENDING THREADS