Single-core to Dual-core

Slav4o177

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi everyone ! Last day i did a test and i saw that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU (not 100% sure if thats a bottleneck)
I did test at 2 games and the games show me the same results. The CPU usage was 100% but the GPU only 20%.
My components are :
CPU - Pentium4 531 HT (I know its old but who cares)
GPU - GeForce 210 512m (Its trash but does the job)
So my question is: If i change the CPU form single-core to dual-core will it bottleneck the GPU again ?

Solution
Technically, your CPU is the bottleneck, but that is the least of your worries (I really do hate that term).

Anyway, yes. If you upgrade your system to a dual-core processor, you will experience better performance in applications that can utilize more than one CPU core.

-Wolf sends
What are you even using the system for.. that system is ancient, basically obsolete...

You should really save up and get a new MOBO, go for an i3 dual core or an i5 quad core (depending on how much you multitask) and then get a low-mid tier GPU (depending on what games you play)

You have a CPU with one core! CPU's can have 8+ cores now, 4 cores (Quad core) being the most commonly used type of CPU)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Technically, your CPU is the bottleneck, but that is the least of your worries (I really do hate that term).

Anyway, yes. If you upgrade your system to a dual-core processor, you will experience better performance in applications that can utilize more than one CPU core.

-Wolf sends

Solution

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
What motherboard do you have? While it's very old now (that CPU is a Socket 775 model, which puts it 4 generations back from Skylake), if your board could handle a Core 2 Duo or even a Core 2 Quad/Extreme, you would see some major performance improvements.

It depends on the game.
Some games are single threaded
A dual core will not help there.
Some games, like civ2.42 will run 100% because of poor coding, but the game will not be cpu limited.

In general, a dual core will be a good upgrade for everything.

If your game performance is not satisfactory, you need to undertake to find out what the problem is before you fix it.