single core works dualcore instable

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
recently been attempting to upgrade an asus m2n-mx se plus am2 motherboard as it currently stands the Sempron 3400+ Works flawlessly and stable under over clocked conditions. heat is nominal through out the cpu thermostat and motherboard temp.

bios updates have been done to accommodate the dual core cpu upgrade.

psu is adequate and working

motherboard is in prime shape "To the naked eye"

but all athlon64 dualcores iv tryed all have the same instability just randomly sometimes in bios after bios during boot during windows load with in windows the crash is the same no blue screen just direct immediate random system freeze completely no mouse keyboard locks Sound does not studder sound ceases completely screen stays on last frame it crashed on with no corruption visable in the image.

take the dualcore out no changes to bios or anything the sempron works flawlessly

iv gone so far to advance cool the mcp61 chip set with a fan replaced thermal compounds rams not the issue tried second psu thats not it cpus Do work tested in ginnypig system.

even disabled southbridge components in the bios to hopefully even further lessen the load on the south bridge.

still to no avail

windows when it Does manage to boot in to it Does install the proper cpu driver

no yellow bangs.

just cant figure it out

sempron is reportedly 59watt cpu the dualcores were all 65watt parts..

is it possible some how not enough voltage is being delivered to the socket?
again around the socket all motherboard structures appear to be clean and non compromised.

Solution
athlon x2 64 6000+ (unsupported not suprising didnt work
athlon x2 64 5050e under bios 503
athlon x2 64 4200+ under bios 209 and 602
phenom I 9350 under bios 503

execpt for the 6000+ the others are supported so sayith asus's m2n-mx se plus website.

bios's were updated using asus update

all the cpus excluding 6k exhibited the Random solid instant freeze when ever it felt like it.
6k just didnt work

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming your PSU has the necessary +12V specs (amps, wattage), is it possible that the MB is a used item that may have been abused in the past? Or did you buy this new many years ago yourself? I presume the dual core processors you have tried were all used.

Oh, and you never mentioned what the dual core CPU(s) were you tried and what BIOS version you updated to.

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
psus a atx12 v2.2 450watt new
and the cpus do work in other systems

and yes cmos updates were applied and resets done to accommodate
the new cpus.

im normally pretty good at this stuff but this time its got to be something microscopic out of plain sight
probably some circuitry with in the socket its self has gone wonky.

a CPU did Die within its socket but due to leaving it on during a heat crash. previous owner.

the cpu died and iv tested that cpu it was a athlon 5200+ with the core0 core1 temprature bug core 1 constantly ran 10c above core 0 this cpu exhibits a crash way different and more spectacular then the working dualcores tried

when the toasted athlon 64 x2 5200 crashes it gives me a random color and screen glitch show

I WAS hoping that board was alright seeing how the sempron when installed worked fine fine fine.

probably time to find a replacement motherboard

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
athlon x2 64 6000+ (unsupported not suprising didnt work
athlon x2 64 5050e under bios 503
athlon x2 64 4200+ under bios 209 and 602
phenom I 9350 under bios 503

execpt for the 6000+ the others are supported so sayith asus's m2n-mx se plus website.

bios's were updated using asus update

all the cpus excluding 6k exhibited the Random solid instant freeze when ever it felt like it.
6k just didnt work

Solution

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
just throwing away a 99% working system isn't happening thats 1 thing i hate about toms.every one instantly suggest oh buy a new one. no not until all possibilities have been tried

so left to my own i have discovered and am testing at the moment of post running a dualcore but disabled 1 core

this so far has netted me stability long enough to post this

msconfig -> boot.ini ->advanced options - /numproc=1 (dual core to single core)

this is acceptable if it stays stable as even an athlon 64 x1 still more reactive then the sempron

also cements the theory that micro circuitry in the socket must be damage.

the idea is to make something useful out of something free not throw something free away and spend money where money doesn't need to be spent plus this system is a bit of a sacrificial lamb it is in a location no sane person would leave a system, something new for out in a shed? nay.. free please :)

if it stays stable Problem sorta solved and concluded

thanks for showing up tho one thing can count on for toms at least Some one replies,.

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
not really sticking money in to this these are freebie parts.
if i was to dump this and just go all new it wont be intel.

at any rate disabling the dual core to a single core has netted some stability

it still has the instant freeze crash happening less frequently.

"sticking money into hardware that is 7+ years old is kinda foolish."

people who own vintage cars stop dumping money in to 50 year old + stuff its kind of foolish?

er although this compy is the equivalent to giving a near dead horse cpr on the side of the road just to get to work lol

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
took it all apart cleaned and re thermal pasted the south bridge
put it back to gather turned it on low and be hold!

the dualcores giving me the old On off Bit.

turn it on it turns its self off
turn it on ..it turns off over and over

take the dual core out.. put the sempron back in..

Goddamn thing works no problems.....

problem solved

this motherboard is haunted by the sempron
the sempron will not leave.

just gonna leave it as it is.

thanks to log for showing up in typical toms fashion to suggest throwing money at it.

http://valid.canardpc.com/ifh95r

Mike Amiro

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
as a side ending note the semprons overclock of 233mhz fsb was not applied to the dual cores tested. the over clocking takes place using " NTune " within windows restarting defaults back to 200mhz fsb.