Single Domain-Multiple DNS setup

Hello and TIA for the assistance,

Any white papers or tricks to seting up a second DNS server on a DC in a
single domain?

Ken

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/default.asp

Putting a second DNS server into a Domain is not really complicated. Do it,
and ask specific questions on what confuses you.

Happy reading.

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon

"Ken F" <TechAdmin@NO-SPAM.IwantIntegrity.com> wrote in message
> Hello and TIA for the assistance,
>
> Any white papers or tricks to seting up a second DNS server on a DC in a
> single domain?
>
> Ken

"Ken F" <TechAdmin@NO-SPAM.IwantIntegrity.com> wrote in message
> Hello and TIA for the assistance,

Read Deji's answer but I understood your question differently.

> Any white papers or tricks to seting up a second DNS server on a DC in a
> single domain?

Microsoft only supports ONE DNS server per machine (including DCs.)

If you mean a another zone on the same DNS server then that is as easy
as "right click" on "Forward zones" (or even Reverse) and following the
prompts.

If you really want "two DNS servers" on the same machine you would
have to run a third party product and it probably wouldn't work as one
expects since all clients are going to be using the DEFAULT UDP
port 53 for almost all requests.

There is a possibility to use two different (one or more non-MS) DNS
servers on a firewall so that the OUTSIDE IP is answering with one of
them, and the INTERNAL IP is serviced by another.

--
Herb Martin