[SOLVED] Single fan not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2021
I recently bought a Corsair icue 4000x case, which comes with three of what they call the “sp 120mm elite” fans. This is my second pc build, so I generally know what I’m dealing with. But the center fan starts to spin, then stops completely after less than a second. Ive tried unplug and replicate firmly. I’ve tried moving the fan to different headers, none work. I’ve tried contacting support, they just told me to do things I’ve already done. Any advice?
Mobo: Asus Rox Strix B450F
Case: Corsair icue 4000x
Fan: sp 120mm elite

Solution
Bios won't recognise 3 fans individually. It only recognises 1 fan per header, the fan that has the speed sensor. With a hub or splitter only 1 fan is the master fan, the rest are not, they follow what the header gives them.

So if all 3 fans are splitter/hub, then you'll only see whichever is connected, but all 3 respond to the same directive. If one doesn't, then that's an actual fan issue, not an issue with bios or software or motherboard or header.

You have a broken fan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The iCue 4000x has a hub behind the right panel. Make sure the connectors are all seated fully. That hub is controlled by iCue software, so make sure the rpm is set high enough to supply enough power to actually start the fans. If the curve is set too low, the fan won't start. Changing headers won't matter because iCue takes control as soon as you boot into windows. That also applies to bios settings, which kick in before windows starts.

If setting full speed in both bios/windows doesn't make that particular fan move and the others do, I'd say you'd be looking at a dud, DOA.

Feb 28, 2021
I recently bought a Corsair icue 4000x case, which comes with three of what they call the “sp 120mm elite” fans. This is my second pc build, so I generally know what I’m dealing with. But the center fan starts to spin, then stops completely after less than a second. Ive tried unplug and replicate firmly. I’ve tried moving the fan to different headers, none work. I’ve tried contacting support, they just told me to do things I’ve already done. Any advice?
Mobo: Asus Rox Strix B450F
Case: Corsair icue 4000x
Fan: sp 120mm elite
Have you tried moving one of the working fans to the hookups of the non working fan? as if the other fan works in that position then the fan is bad

Mar 14, 2021
Have you tried moving one of the working fans to the hookups of the non working fan? as if the other fan works in that position then the fan is bad
Yes, I tried making sure the header pins weren’t damaged, and the other two fans do work in the non working fans position

Mar 14, 2021
The iCue 4000x has a hub behind the right panel. Make sure the connectors are all seated fully. That hub is controlled by iCue software, so make sure the rpm is set high enough to supply enough power to actually start the fans. If the curve is set too low, the fan won't start. Changing headers won't matter because iCue takes control as soon as you boot into windows. That also applies to bios settings, which kick in before windows starts.

If setting full speed in both bios/windows doesn't make that particular fan move and the others do, I'd say you'd be looking at a dud, DOA.
I am looking in the icue software, there’s no option to control fan rpm, only lighting, and bios does not recognize that there’s 3 fans

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios won't recognise 3 fans individually. It only recognises 1 fan per header, the fan that has the speed sensor. With a hub or splitter only 1 fan is the master fan, the rest are not, they follow what the header gives them.

So if all 3 fans are splitter/hub, then you'll only see whichever is connected, but all 3 respond to the same directive. If one doesn't, then that's an actual fan issue, not an issue with bios or software or motherboard or header.

You have a broken fan.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.