Single GTX 780 Supporting Three Monitors?

whttrs

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
So I'm in the process of building my first computer after years of buying prebuilt ones and of course I'm getting paranoid about every single little detail. So I figured I'd start asking questions since I'm still not 100% up to speed on all the hardware and what it can and can't do.

My current prebuilt computer has an ATI Radeon HD 6800 (I think) in it but the motherboard has completely died. This card was able to run my three monitors (2x 1920x1080 1x 1280x1024) just fine. I never really used Eyefinity at all, so if I was gaming, it was just on the main monitor and the other two were either off or showing static things like chats, etc.

Now that I'm upgrading I'm looking into getting the GTX 780 (specifically looking at this EVGA one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487040&cm_re=evga_gtx_780-_-14-487-040-_-Product). I'm also planning to upgrade my monitors to 2x 2560x1440 and 1x 1140x900 (which will be mounted in portrait). I don't think I need three 2560 monitors since I hardly ever use my third one now and it's basically just used to display twitter, chats, etc. hence why I figured if I go with a third it'll just be a 19" instead of 27"

Now I'm pretty sure the 780 is gonna be fine running these monitors since it's not likely that with only two "active" monitors that I'll be doing multi-monitor gaming. But obviously I want to be sure before I drop $600 bucks, especially if going with a dual gpu setup of an older card would work better/just as good.

Someday I'll get into full-on surround immersion gaming... That day just isn't today...

(and no, I am not interested in continuing on with an AMD card instead of NVIDIA)

Thanks guys!

Rapajez

Distinguished
If you're considering a Surround setup, VRAM becomes more important. You may want to step up to the 6GB 780.

Not sure why you're avoiding AMD, but the cheaper AMD 4GB R9 290 is another option (about the same performance).

whttrs

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I wouldn't be so opposed to AMD if the current AMD card that I have hadn't been a complete nightmare for the past two years.

It goes either way...some people have horrible problems (specifically drivers) with NVIDIA cards, some with AMD. I've had ALL my problems with AMD and none with NVIDIA.. so I'm going back.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Good enough. Again, I'd recommend the 6GB version of the 780 if you're going surround video. (Most 1080p gaming is using 2GB of VRAM, so if you multiply that by 3...)

Not only that, but multi-GPU setups don't add the VRAM of the cards together. E.g., 2x 3GB cards still means 3GB of total VRAM available to the system.