[SOLVED] Single module dual rank vs. two modules single rank

racctor

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
Hello!

I think the title is pretty self explanatory; what would you prefer?

I know that two modules of e.g. 8 GB are better than a single 16GB module. On the other hand dual rank is better than single rank in games. So what would you prefer and how big is the differnce between dual channel and dual rank (using only one stick in the latter)?

greetings
rac

Solution
Hello!

I know that two modules of e.g. 8 GB are better than a single 16GB module. On the other hand dual rank is better than single rank in games. So what would you prefer and how big is the differnce between dual channel and dual rank (using only one stick in the latter)?

greetings
rac
Rank and channel are two different things, you can have 2 single or dual RANK in single or dual CHANNEL.
Dual channel outranks dual rank by great margin.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!

greetings
rac
Two DIMMs will always win. The CPU was optimized for two memory channels. With a single DIMM you are not using half of the CPU memory interface.

Reactions: racctor
Hello!

greetings
rac
Rank and channel are two different things, you can have 2 single or dual RANK in single or dual CHANNEL.
Dual channel outranks dual rank by great margin.

Reactions: racctor
Solution