Single PC for Twitch Streaming and Gaming

murKury

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Hello. I am an aspiring Twitch streamer. I have been using a single PC to stream 720p60 for quite some time now. I believe this has been working out pretty well for me, however I would like the opportunity to increase the visual quality of my stream for those who are capable of viewing it at a higher resolution. I made the decision that I wanted to start streaming 1080p60. When I tested this, it was clear to me that my CPU was the problem. I stream games like Fortnite, Outlast 2, and soon COD WWII. Here is my twitch and setup:
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/no_u_lol
Setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/murKury/saved/wbWxYJ

Unfortunately, despite my CPU being one of the most powerful gaming processors out there, it simply cannot handle 1080p60 @ 6000kb/s. Unless someone knows a magical spell to make this rig work with streaming high intensity games at that resolution, I am thinking of upgrading the CPU and motherboard.

I have been looking at many different options. My budget is probably closer to 600$ total. From my research, the best bang-for-your-buck chip that has come up several times is the i7-7820x. Although this exceeds my price range with the preferred motherboard included, this seems like the best choice. It has 8 cores and a considerably high base clock. Let me know what you think. If there is a better option out there that will help me comfortably stream games like COD WWII @ 1080p60 without degrading my own gamer's performance and experience, please let me know. Please take note that my primary gaming monitor is a 1440p165 display. Therefore, I will be down scaling to 1080p from 1440p.

Two requirements for the solution:
1. I will not be downgrading my monitor to 1080p one way or another. I am too used to gaming at 1440p and would like to keep it that way.
2. I will not be using two PC's for streaming. At least not yet. I do not have the budget or the time for the potential required maintenance as I am working tirelessly in school and my on physique as I am preparing physically to join the military. Thank you so much in advance for your time and sorry for the long post. I wanted to provide as much detail as possible to make it easier to understand so I can receive the desired solution.

Solution
Have you tried Shadowplay? This uses the GPU and has little effect on frame rates but may not suit your requirements.

Sadly, there's no magic way round it if you're using CPU based streaming software: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326-4.html

If you can wait, Intel should be releasing 8 core parts in October but details beyond the core count are sketchy and pricing is so far unknown, as is motherboard compatibility.

If you can't wait a good 6 or 8 core CPU will solve the issue and with you gaming at 2K rez you can opt for an AMD part and suffer very little performance loss over an Intel part, so don't feel you are locked into one platform/maker.

Some of the upgrade cost can...
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($170.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Video Card ($135.33 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $598.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 02:35 EDT-0400

Push it for few more months as i9-9900K is gonna launch in 2-3months. It will have 8C/16T and little improvement on IPC over Coffee-lake with improved clock speeds and this will increase the performance gap between AMD and Intel by a large margin(unless Intel utterly screws up by cutting off clock speeds on i9 CPU of which possibility is very low).

Have you tried Shadowplay? This uses the GPU and has little effect on frame rates but may not suit your requirements.

Sadly, there's no magic way round it if you're using CPU based streaming software: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326-4.html

If you can wait, Intel should be releasing 8 core parts in October but details beyond the core count are sketchy and pricing is so far unknown, as is motherboard compatibility.

If you can't wait a good 6 or 8 core CPU will solve the issue and with you gaming at 2K rez you can opt for an AMD part and suffer very little performance loss over an Intel part, so don't feel you are locked into one platform/maker.

Some of the upgrade cost can, obviously, be offset by selling the existing CPU/MB/RAM and while E-bay and Craiglist are favourites, don't underestimate the power of local small ads.
According to the web, your current CPU cooler will work with any available CPU/MB so there's no need to sell that nice but expensive part, just add something like a Cryorig H7 or Coolermaster 212 Evo to the MB bundle to help it sell.

From the Red Team:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($223.19 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $495.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 04:07 EDT-0400

And from the Blue:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $538.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 04:05 EDT-0400

To keep the playing field fairly level I've used the same memory and very similar motherboards, if you want to go 8 core just drop a suitable Ryzen 7 into the AMD build, to go 8 core with Intel is going to be a lot more expensive:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($459.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X299 Extreme4 ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $792.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 04:13 EDT-0400

Solution

murKury

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Thank you guys. I completely forgot about the upcoming 9900k. I must admit I am hooked on Intel. I have used them all my life. I believe the best solution is to grind some more money and grab that CPU when it hits the market, as well as some other upgrades to my setup in general as I will likely have built up a decent budget. Once again, thank you very much.

Sep 22, 2018

How does one play one on 1440p and downscale to 1080p plz help