Single PCI-E Cable for GPU

Mar 6, 2018
Hello,

I have a Corsair RM650 PSU. I had a GTX 980 and it had no problem operating on the juice supplied by a single PCI-E cable branching out to two 6+2 pin connectors.

Today I installed a MSI GTX 1080 ti GAMING X. My question is basically whether this same setup (a single cable branching out to two 6+2 connectors put in two 8 pin sockets of the new GPU) is enough to supply the 1080 ti or do I need a separate cable all the way from PSU for the 2nd 8 pin socket?

I seem to have misplaced all my spare cables so obtaining extras will be a huge hassle (considering I do not live in the US), and Corsair Tech support seemed to say that it will be enough (to the extent I could describe my issue) but I wanted a second opinion basically.

Solution
Yes, when they put multiple PCIe connectors on the end of a cable they are using thicker gauge wire to handle the load.

RM line is a decent product, so they won't have skimped on wire gauge like cheap power supplies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, when they put multiple PCIe connectors on the end of a cable they are using thicker gauge wire to handle the load.

RM line is a decent product, so they won't have skimped on wire gauge like cheap power supplies.

Solution

gameovais

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
I am sorry to bump an old thread but I think the question is exactly the same so doesn't need a new thread.

I have ordered a new Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 card which requires and I quote from the specs:

"Minimum 550W power supply with 1 x 8-pin & 1 x 6-pin PCIe connectors"

I have the SilverStone 750w Strider Gold S, Full Modular, 80+ Gold, Single Rail PSU. There are two questions really.

1. Can I use a single cable that branches off into 2?
2. Is it better to use 2 cables or does it not make a difference at all?

Using a single cable would seriously save on cable clutter but I don't want to compromise durability or performance.

Since you are asking about a totally different PSU, your question deserves its own thread. That way the different answers won't confuse anybody searching for an answer in the future.