Question Single Side 4TB NVMe SSD

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
I bought a Lenovo Slim 7 laptop and it is so slim that it can accommodate only single side NVMe SSD. Are there any single sided 4TB SSD on the market? Are they QLC or TLC? Thanks in advance.

I bought a Lenovo Slim 7 laptop and it is so slim that it can accommodate only single side NVMe SSD. Are there any single sided 4TB SSD on the market? Are they QLC or TLC? Thanks in advance.

I believe this one is TLC.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
I believe this one is TLC.

It's a great drive, but the 4TB is double sided, so it won't fit in my laptop.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
P3/P3 Plus. QLC. Would also apply to the MP600 Core XT, since it's a clone. There are some other 4TB QLC drives in the same niche that may be single-sided.
Thanks. I'm starting to think that there are no 4TB TLC single sided drives in existence. Only 2T max. Maybe the current NAND technology does not support such density. I'm hesitant to buy a QLC drive because of the performance and durability.

Thanks. I'm starting to think that there are no 4TB TLC single sided drives in existence. Only 2T max. Maybe the current NAND technology does not support such density. I'm hesitant to buy a QLC drive because of the performance and durability.
It's theoretically possible. The limit tends to be 16 dies per package (16DP/HDP) which with 512Gb TLC dies means you need 4 packages all on one side. This is challenging if the controller has DRAM, and especially so because you want 8 channels for that many dies. The Phison E12S can manage this (as one example) but it's much more cost effective to run it double-sided with 8 packages.

1Tb TLC dies are more rare but could work, although at the limits of what DRAM-less, 4-channel controllers can do. Up to this point the most common is BiCS5, even though Hynix makes 1Tb dies (which they don't stack at 16 in their products yet). BiCS5 has its own limitations due to no CuA and dense packages of this type may have signaling issues (see the 8TB E18 drives).

So your final conclusion that 1Tb dies with newer/upcoming flash - that is, of the 232L/238L generation - would be ideal is accurate, particularly as newer DRAM-less controllers (SM2269XT/E21T/IG5220, then on to the MAP1602/SM2268XT/E27T) can handle it just fine. One issue with client drives (like Micron's) is that they are designed to work in smaller form factors like 2230 so higher-capacity options may come later. It's also important to underline the fact it's a client drive (Crucial does the retail end) because these aren't always directly available.

When it comes to "durability," QLC is more than enough. Really. In fact I'd take the P3 over the MP34 (traditionally a 4TB drive with TLC) because you know you're getting quality flash. Performance is a different story - there are situations where you'll notice the QLC, although whether or not that applies to you (or most users) is a different question. Although I admit if I planned to use all 4TB (fuller drive) then I'd consider TLC more.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Thanks for your learned reply. I would have bought the MP34 but I can't find information anywhere if the 4TB model is single sided or double sided. I may have to wait for new models to come out.

Thanks for your learned reply. I would have bought the MP34 but I can't find information anywhere if the 4TB model is single sided or double sided. I may have to wait for new models to come out.
I think most of the Realtek/RTS5762 drives are double-sided (they put the DRAM chip on the back side even if there's not flash there), unfortunately. They also only have 2 chips unless in the DRAM-less version which precludes 4TB.

Last edited:

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
I just realized that the Crucial T700 is already available and utilizing the 232 layer TLC but it's a double sided design and not really great for a laptop usage. I hope they release a cheaper, cooler PCIe gen 4 version.

I just realized that the Crucial T700 is already available and utilizing the 232 layer TLC but it's a double sided design and not really great for a laptop usage. I hope they release a cheaper, cooler PCIe gen 4 version.
The T700 explicitly shouldn't be used in laptops. Eventually PCIe 5.0 laptops will/may be designed with heatsinks to handle these drives, but the better option is to go with more efficient drives. These are on their way with 7nm controllers (DRAM-less, 4-channel) and 232L+ flash, and could be single-sided.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Is anyone familiar with the MSI Spatium M461 SSD? MSI only says it has Phison E21T controller. I am guessing it's a QLC NAND based on the fact the 4TB is single sided and TBW is 900. I haven't found any reviews of this drive, just that it's available.

Jul 25, 2023
Your best bet if you are willing to pay around $500 is 2280 Visiontek DLX4 Pro 4TB with SLC (faster/better than TLC). US made. Confirmed single sided.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Your best bet if you are willing to pay around $500 is 2280 Visiontek DLX4 Pro 4TB with SLC (faster/better than TLC). US made. Confirmed single sided.
This has SLC caching. It's not SLC structure. My guess, based on the specs, that it's TLC. Where did you find the info that it's single sided? Nowhere on the Visiontek spec sheet it mentions anything about the thickness. Also, they say "Country of Manufacture: Mexico".
Update: the specs on Dell.com say it's TLC structure.

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Anyone familiar with the Lexar NM790 4TB SSD? It uses YMTC 232-layer TLC and Maxio controler. I'm wondering about the reliability. Specifically, there is no Lexar SSD utility, so I wonder if there will be firmware updates.

Anyone familiar with the Lexar NM790 4TB SSD? It uses YMTC 232-layer TLC and Maxio controler. I'm wondering about the reliability. Specifically, there is no Lexar SSD utility, so I wonder if there will be firmware updates.
You can check the specs with the appropriate VLO utility (check my website, I don't link to Russian sites on forums, or Google it). This will give some basic information about the flash at least. "Reliability": I haven't heard of issues with it like with the IG5236 + YMTC (128L).

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Thanks! I see that similar (same?) drives will be available as Patriot Viper VP4300 Lite and HP FX900 Plus. Any recommendations between these brands as far as software support?

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
Max, thanks so much for all your knowledgeable answers! HP and Patriot are not yet available. I will wait a couple of weeks to see if they show up before I order. Thanks again for your help!

Jul 25, 2023
This has SLC caching. It's not SLC structure. My guess, based on the specs, that it's TLC. Where did you find the info that it's single sided? Nowhere on the Visiontek spec sheet it mentions anything about the thickness. Also, they say "Country of Manufacture: Mexico".
Update: the specs on Dell.com say it's TLC structure.
Ok, I wanted to clarify the following: the manufacturer is US based (no matter if it's assembled in Mexico). For single sided confirmation check here: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/15duoa0/single_side_ssd_list_of_2tb_and_4tb_nvme_2280/

Last edited:

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
I wanted to give an update: If anyone else has a thin and light notebook and is looking for a 4TB single sided SSD that uses TLC NAND, there are now several drives available (or just announced), all based on the Maxio controller (without DRAM) and YMTC 232 layer NAND:

Lexar NM790
TEAMGROUP MP44
Patriot VP4300 Lite
HP FX900 Plus
Acer Predator GM7

These are all similar, if not identical drives. From reading the reviews, the lack of DRAM lowers the performance a little compared to drives with DRAM, but the benefit is lower power consumption and lower temperatures. Also, the 4TB SSD is single sided :)

TRENDING THREADS