Single Sign-on authentication using Smart Cards

bill

Hello security group,

As a requirement for work, I've been doing research for work regarding
Single sign-on Windows authentication using a Smart card. I know that Windows
2000/2003 servers have good integration with Smart Cards, however I'm
wondering what the requirements are for implementing single sign-on site
wide. Ideally I would like something that integrates with AD, but I know that
is not necessarily a requirement. I've been tasked wtih doing a demo on a
single workstation, is this possible? What software/hardware would I need to
do this?

Just to clarify what I mean by single sign-on, I'm thinking something that
can allow a user to simply put in a Smart Card, enter their PIN, and have
access to the system, including their email profile.

Thank you all in advance.

bill

Also, just to add to what I wrote up top, I am currently using Smart Cards,
however only for signing and encrypting email and viewer secured sites, not
to log into a Windows domain. Thanks again.

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello security group,
>
> As a requirement for work, I've been doing research for work regarding
> Single sign-on Windows authentication using a Smart card. I know that
Windows
> 2000/2003 servers have good integration with Smart Cards, however I'm
> wondering what the requirements are for implementing single sign-on site
> wide. Ideally I would like something that integrates with AD, but I know
that
> is not necessarily a requirement. I've been tasked wtih doing a demo on a
> single workstation, is this possible? What software/hardware would I need
> do this?

You have it already for AD domains.

> Just to clarify what I mean by single sign-on, I'm thinking something that
> can allow a user to simply put in a Smart Card, enter their PIN, and have
> access to the system, including their email profile.

Win2000 and Win2003 domains (and 2000/XP clients)
have this ability built-in -- if there is a smart card reader
on the station it becomes a choice.

> Also, just to add to what I wrote up top, I am currently using Smart
Cards,
> however only for signing and encrypting email and viewer secured sites,
not
> to log into a Windows domain. Thanks again.

Why don't you just try using (your own) Smart Card to
logon.

Add a reader to your machine and you should see the
choice at logon -- if you card has the required certificate
then it will "just work". (You may have to add a cert to
it if it doesn't have the right type/trust from the domain
CA.)

--
Herb Martin

> Thank you all in advance.

bill

Thanks. I do have the Certs on the card but when I insert it during the logon
screen and enter my PIN this does not log me onto the domain. I guess my real
question is how do you tie in domain logon information with the Smart Card?
Is this done at the CA or do I have to purchase additional middleware?

> Thanks. I do have the Certs on the card but when I insert it during the
logon
> screen and enter my PIN this does not log me onto the domain.

"The certs" which one(s)?

> I guess my real
> question is how do you tie in domain logon information with the Smart
Card?

The certs need to be issued by a "trusted" (by the domain)
CA which usually means an "Enterprise CA".

Effectively 'Enterprise' MEANS and Active Directory CA.

They also have to marked for this purpose.

> Is this done at the CA or do I have to purchase additional middleware?

No, you do it from a "smart card enrollment" station.
(Just a PC that can add the cert to the card and by
a use [admin etc.] who can request them on another
users behalf.)

Search for those phrases through Google:

[ smartcard logon "certificate enrollment station" site:microsoft.com ]

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello security group,
> > >
> > > As a requirement for work, I've been doing research for work regarding
> > > Single sign-on Windows authentication using a Smart card. I know that
> > Windows
> > > 2000/2003 servers have good integration with Smart Cards, however I'm
> > > wondering what the requirements are for implementing single sign-on
site
> > > wide. Ideally I would like something that integrates with AD, but I
know
> > that
> > > is not necessarily a requirement. I've been tasked wtih doing a demo
on a
> > > single workstation, is this possible? What software/hardware would I
need
> > > do this?
> >
> > You have it already for AD domains.
> >
> > > Just to clarify what I mean by single sign-on, I'm thinking something
that
> > > can allow a user to simply put in a Smart Card, enter their PIN, and
have
> > > access to the system, including their email profile.
> >
> > Win2000 and Win2003 domains (and 2000/XP clients)
> > have this ability built-in -- if there is a smart card reader
> > on the station it becomes a choice.
> >
> > > Also, just to add to what I wrote up top, I am currently using Smart
> > Cards,
> > > however only for signing and encrypting email and viewer secured
sites,
> > not
> > > to log into a Windows domain. Thanks again.
> >
> > Why don't you just try using (your own) Smart Card to
> > logon.
> >
> > Add a reader to your machine and you should see the
> > choice at logon -- if you card has the required certificate
> > then it will "just work". (You may have to add a cert to
> > it if it doesn't have the right type/trust from the domain
> > CA.)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > Thank you all in advance.

There is a great chapter in the Windows 2003 Deployment Kit on how to do what
you want. See the link below in Part II on planning a smart card deployment. It
is mostly the same for Windows 2000 though you can not use type 2 certificate
templates to use autoenrollment for users with a Windows 2000 CA. You probably
have what you need already but the wrong certificate type on your smartcard that
would include the UPN for a domain user for domain logon. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/dpgDSS_overview.asp

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I do have the Certs on the card but when I insert it during the logon
> screen and enter my PIN this does not log me onto the domain. I guess my real
> question is how do you tie in domain logon information with the Smart Card?
> Is this done at the CA or do I have to purchase additional middleware?
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello security group,
> > >
> > > As a requirement for work, I've been doing research for work regarding
> > > Single sign-on Windows authentication using a Smart card. I know that
> > Windows
> > > 2000/2003 servers have good integration with Smart Cards, however I'm
> > > wondering what the requirements are for implementing single sign-on site
> > > wide. Ideally I would like something that integrates with AD, but I know
> > that
> > > is not necessarily a requirement. I've been tasked wtih doing a demo on a
> > > single workstation, is this possible? What software/hardware would I need
> > > do this?
> >
> > You have it already for AD domains.
> >
> > > Just to clarify what I mean by single sign-on, I'm thinking something that
> > > can allow a user to simply put in a Smart Card, enter their PIN, and have
> > > access to the system, including their email profile.
> >
> > Win2000 and Win2003 domains (and 2000/XP clients)
> > have this ability built-in -- if there is a smart card reader
> > on the station it becomes a choice.
> >
> > > Also, just to add to what I wrote up top, I am currently using Smart
> > Cards,
> > > however only for signing and encrypting email and viewer secured sites,
> > not
> > > to log into a Windows domain. Thanks again.
> >
> > Why don't you just try using (your own) Smart Card to
> > logon.
> >
> > Add a reader to your machine and you should see the
> > choice at logon -- if you card has the required certificate
> > then it will "just work". (You may have to add a cert to
> > it if it doesn't have the right type/trust from the domain
> > CA.)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > Thank you all in advance.

bill

Steven, I think you're right. I'm using Schlumberg card/reader and ActivCard
Gold 2.1 software. The certs that I see using the ActivCard software show one
for signature, encryption, and identity but I don't see one for logon. Is
this added during the card's creation?

"Steven Umbach" wrote:

> There is a great chapter in the Windows 2003 Deployment Kit on how to do what
> you want. See the link below in Part II on planning a smart card deployment. It
> is mostly the same for Windows 2000 though you can not use type 2 certificate
> templates to use autoenrollment for users with a Windows 2000 CA. You probably
> have what you need already but the wrong certificate type on your smartcard that
> would include the UPN for a domain user for domain logon. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/dpgDSS_overview.asp
>
> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. I do have the Certs on the card but when I insert it during the logon
> > screen and enter my PIN this does not log me onto the domain. I guess my real
> > question is how do you tie in domain logon information with the Smart Card?
> > Is this done at the CA or do I have to purchase additional middleware?
> >
> > "Herb Martin" wrote:
> >
> > > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Windows
> > > that
> > >
> > > You have it already for AD domains.

> > > Win2000 and Win2003 domains (and 2000/XP clients)
> > > have this ability built-in -- if there is a smart card reader
> > > on the station it becomes a choice.

> > > Cards,
> > > not
> > >
> > > Why don't you just try using (your own) Smart Card to
> > > logon.
> > >
> > > Add a reader to your machine and you should see the
> > > choice at logon -- if you card has the required certificate
> > > then it will "just work". (You may have to add a cert to
> > > it if it doesn't have the right type/trust from the domain
> > > CA.)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

In article <7131E925-F0C2-4ADE-BC1F-2AF397CDDA48@microsoft.com>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, =?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?=
<bill@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

> The certs that I see using the ActivCard software show one
> for signature, encryption, and identity but I don't see one for logon. Is
> this added during the card's creation?

No, it is added during the certificate request process. All of your
questions can be answered by reading the information at the links
provided to you by Steven.

--
Paul Adare
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

bill

OK, I think I know what we need now to complete the smart card logon project
but I have a question about a Microsoft Technet article.

In article Q281245, (Guidelines for Enabling Smart Card Logon with Third
party CA's), the first line in the requirements section says:

"Required: Active Directory must have the third-party issuing CA in the
NTAuth store to authenticate users to active directory."

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that a copy of the Third-party CA
must be installed in the NTAuth store or some kind of connection must be made
with the third-party?

> OK, I think I know what we need now to complete the smart card logon
project
> but I have a question about a Microsoft Technet article.
>
> In article Q281245, (Guidelines for Enabling Smart Card Logon with Third
> party CA's), the first line in the requirements section says:
>
> "Required: Active Directory must have the third-party issuing CA in the
> NTAuth store to authenticate users to active directory."

For AD (the DCs) to trust the user's cert is properly
issued it must "know" the issuing CA -- since a 3rd
party CA's cert if not automatically in the AD store
(NTAuth) you must add that Cert.

This is very similar to visiting a web site for SSL,
to trust the cert of the Web server your browser must
have the TRUST Certificate for the issuing server in
it's store.

Or at least a parent CA for that issuing CA (you can
trust a subordinate CA by trusting the parent in many
cases.)

> What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that a copy of the Third-party
CA
> must be installed in the NTAuth store or some kind of connection must be
made
> with the third-party?

No, not necessarily*. It means the trust CERT must
be obtained and loaded into that store.

*It should be setup so that the CRL (certificate revocation
list) is readily available (online or periodically obtained).

--
Herb Martin