Single slot Video card upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
This is my first post. So i hope to get my question answered.

I am upgrading to a newer video card. I currently have an eVGA 8600 GTS OC 256MB. (Factory OC to 720GHz). And the games ive been playing have been pushing my card. But id still like to keep my graphics settings on high if possible.

It MUST be a single slot card. I have a compact cubed case and i need all the room i can get if possible. If necessary i could sacrifice my WiFi for a dual slot card. But that would be last resort.

I am looking for the fastest card within a $80 to $120 range. I will be playing games like Crysis, Just Cause 2, and the upcoming Mafia 2. Along with the less demanding COD games.

I haven't really been a fan of ATi. Although I've heard their cards are....decent. The DX 10.1 is tempting. But is it worth it?

Something Future proof (Like 3 or more years.) and reliable. I have looked at the 9800 GT and the HD 4850. Hard choice.

Here are my specs if it helps.

Windows 7 Home Premium
E6750 2.66GHz. 4MB/1333
2GB PC2-6400
500W PSU.
19'' Monitor - 1440x900 16:10

If also possible, what maker is best? (XFX, eVGA, BFG, etc.)

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Anyways, if i can't find the slim 260 i think i'm going with the 9800 GT. It should be a quick switch. Since all the drivers are all bundled i can just remove, replace, and i should be set to go.

And it should last me long enough till a better single slot video card comes out.

Well Thank you all for you time and words of wisdom.

Last question. What brand would you recommend and whats the advantages of each? BFG, MSI, eVGA, ASUS, PNY, XFX, JATON, Gigabyte, etc...

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
True single slot size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

That is my motherboard. Right under the PCIe is my WiFi, and under that is my SoundBlaster.

I would prefer the heatsink to rap around and be on the back of the card but i just don't have enough room between the PSU and DVD/PSU bracket.

If only the PCIe 1x was under the 16x 2.0. I do have my old motherboard where the 1x was under the 16x. That was a GF 7050 - 610i. It did not support fast enough speeds as the one i have now. Plus it didn't support 2.0.

So true single slot.

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I know right? But whats the price of going portable. lol. I haul it around a lot and prefer if it would be light. But yet still pack as much as i can into it. I do believe there are PCIe 1x WiWi cards.

With the quality of onboard sound (HD) these days I would sacrifice the soundblaster for better GPU!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I agree that the superclocked evga is a great choice as a true single slot card. It would likely be the most power you would get from a single slot.

Also, most on toms will agree that soundblaster cards are worthless and low quality. I would never buy a creative brand product. Ditching the sound card would be worth it if you could put a full size card in your rig.
You could also change wifi if needed and just plug in (or external wifi) --wifi isnt a fast/reliable of a connection as LAN if you are gaming.

If you are looking for a sound improvement-- the ATI 5670 you were looking at is similar to the normal 9800GT in performance and has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio build into the card. (all ATI 5-series cards do).

Edit: So my opinion is that you sell the sound card and get a 5750 or 5770 with a relatively small cooler. They run pretty cool so it shouldnt be a problem for your wifi.

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I only use the WiFi when I bring it out too the living room or friends house. But yes, an external USB WiFi is logical. Idk why I didn't think of that.

I'm going to have to experament with sound quality between my card and inboard.

Linken91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Just looked into the 5770. Good price for speed and features. I'm thinking of just getting an external USB WiFi. I knoW ou all are sayig that the on board is better. But idk I I really want to trash an expensive audio card that improved my 5.1