Question Single USB 2.0 to dual splitter

May 11, 2019
I was looking into moving my prebuilt HP computer into a new case in order to upgrade the GPU and PSU, and I'm pretty sure I've worked out that all of the connectors needed are standard, except for one. The HP case only has a single USB 2.0 port, so thus the connector is only 5 pins, or one side of a standard connector. My question is: Is there some sort if splitter I can use to make this work? All the cases I've looked at have 2 USB 2.0 ports, so would need a 9 pin connector in order to connect to the case. Could I plug in only one side of the connector and just have one dead USB port? What would the best solution be?

Here is some extra info:
Computer model
Motherboard
Motherboard Image
Image 2

I'm having trouble finding that sort of splitter or adapter but plugging in one side only should be no problem. Just work out which port is left off and tape it over so it's not used.

On the other hand there are add-in PCI/PCIe USB cards which could let you use both ports, and without splitting one (thus better performance with both occupied)

... Could I plug in only one side of the connector and just have one dead USB port? What would the best solution be...
I believe you could do that if you have clearance on your motherboard. But also, many cases with two USB -2 ports have the motherboard end cable configured with two in-line connectors. In which case, use just one to attach to the header pins on the motherboard. The other connector row would then be left dangling and one port on the case 'dead'. Of course, all this assumes your motherboard's USB-2 headers use standard pin-out.

USB -3 is different in that both ports are molded into a connector that fits into a socket on the motherboard.