Question Single vs dual channel and some advice.

Hritish Kumar

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I am thinking to buy a laptop.
I wanted to know that

ASUS ROG Strix Scar II GL504GV-ES019T 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop (8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H/16GB/1TB SSHD + 256GB SSD/Windows 10/RTX 2060 6GB Graphics/2.40 Kg), Gun Metal

Is a good choice for coding,gaming , hacking(pen testing) and collage work?
And also wanted to know that the laptop comes with 16x1 single channel ram.
I saw some benchmarks the performance was not good because it has single channel
I was thinking that 16x1 + 8x1 would give good performance as 16x2 ?
I also want it to be future proof for next 4-5 yrs.

Last edited:
Hey there,

You have a decent machine there. It will be solid at all those tasks, and then some :)

Don't get hung up on single channel v dual channel. Yes, it is a factor. Dual channel can often give a 10-20% perforamnce increase depending on the task. But, defo in the context of gaming. With that said, any system generally with 16gb (I'm just talking about gaming here) will be just fine. The laptop has an I7 8750h, which as far as I'm concerned is the best mobile CPU available. It's an awesome chip. Alongside the extremely capable RTX2060 which at the native res of the laptop will be a great experience.

That laptop is a great little machine. I'm well jealous. I'd have it in a flash. It will do all the things you want, and from a gaming point of view will be a beast for most games out right now. It will last a few years yes. 4-5 years maybe, but you will need to dial back game settings to maintain good FPS for games coming down the line in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Hritish Kumar

Hritish Kumar

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I
Hey there,

You have a decent machine there. It will be solid at all those tasks, and then some :)

Don't get hung up on single channel v dual channel. Yes, it is a factor. Dual channel can often give a 10-20% perforamnce increase depending on the task. But, defo in the context of gaming. With that said, any system generally with 16gb (I'm just talking about gaming here) will be just fine. The laptop has an I7 8750h, which as far as I'm concerned is the best mobile CPU available. It's an awesome chip. Alongside the extremely capable RTX2060 which at the native res of the laptop will be a great experience.

That laptop is a great little machine. I'm well jealous. I'd have it in a flash. It will do all the things you want, and from a gaming point of view will be a beast for most games out right now. It will last a few years yes. 4-5 years maybe, but you will need to dial back game settings to maintain good FPS for games coming down the line in 2-3 years.
I am gonna use vbox for Kali Linux (pen testing) and for gaming at high fps so I want some answer about dual channel thing please.

'Don't get hung up on single channel v dual channel. Yes, it is a factor. Dual channel can often give a 10-20% perforamnce increase depending on the task. But, defo in the context of gaming'

I gave you the answer. Yes, there is a difference. Adding 8gb to the 16gb won't help. Dual channel needs to be with the same size DIMMS. If you were to add another 16gb module, yes, that would give more performance. Roughly 10-20% task dependent. I've already stated this. This is not in every game, or every program. This is why i said don't get hung up on it.

That laptop is very capable, and that's despite it not being in dual channel.

Reactions: Hritish Kumar