[SOLVED] Single vs Dual channel (bad performance)

53r8007

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
Hello guys, i built new pc and am not really happy with performance, i am suspecting that its ram memory but i wanted to make sure before i buy another stick. Basicly, people with same configuration are getting somewhere betwen 30-50FPS more in games that i tested then me the only difference in configuration is that my pc got only one stick of 16gb ram that works on 3200mhz in single channel, other people that have similar setups have ram that works in dual channel with same speeds. Watching YT videos where people compare dual 2x8 vs 16gb of ram in games where they are getting 30-50fps more with dual i figured that might be it. Any toughts about it?

My pc:
GPU : RTX 2070 SUPER EVO
CPU : Ryzen 7 3800x
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black ( single channel )
MB: X570 GAMIN X
PSU: Zalman GigaMax 750W 80+ bronze

Solution
people with same configuration are getting somewhere between 30-50FPS more in games
Can you quote or link a source to said people?

Which slot are you working off of on the motherboard for that single stick of ram? Also, which BIOS version are you on? To note, any Ryzen processor/platform you will work with(Ryzen 1000 series all the way to 3000 series) will function optimally with ram in dual channel mode, that is pair the rams according to the slots on the board, and they need to be identical sticks of ram.

Please don't believe everything YT shows since real world and videos are two aspects. Furthermore you may want to uninstall your GPU drivers using DDU and reinstall the drivers using the latest from Nvidia's support site.

How...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
its a factor to be sure. Ryzen loves all the bandwidth it can get, and Dual Channel is more bandwidth. what you have now is akin to 16 people (threads) having to share the same cell phone, dual channel is adding another cell into the mix so each phone is passed around to 8 threads. (oversimplified analogy)
I do not suggest adding another stick to your setup, MIXING RAM modules is a gamble and if its not sold as a set you are MIXING RAM. when mixing RAM there are 3 scenarios, it works perfectly fine, it does not boot at all, it boots but you have stability issues (reboots, random blue screens- very frustrating to diagnose).

I suggest getting the set of RAM in the capacity and speed you wish and replacing the RAM you have, you can sell it to recoup some of the costs.

Lutfij

Titan
people with same configuration are getting somewhere between 30-50FPS more in games
Can you quote or link a source to said people?

Which slot are you working off of on the motherboard for that single stick of ram? Also, which BIOS version are you on? To note, any Ryzen processor/platform you will work with(Ryzen 1000 series all the way to 3000 series) will function optimally with ram in dual channel mode, that is pair the rams according to the slots on the board, and they need to be identical sticks of ram.

Please don't believe everything YT shows since real world and videos are two aspects. Furthermore you may want to uninstall your GPU drivers using DDU and reinstall the drivers using the latest from Nvidia's support site.

How old is that PSU?

Solution

53r8007

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
I use first ram slot for single channel, also the psu is new, i dont really know when did they started/stoped producing them but everything is brand new, i acctualy ordered another stick of the exact same ram module so in few days i will test it out and i will post results, i am hoping that ram was the issue of low performance, also everything is new on this configuration, drivers are fresh, i compared the bios version and its the latest one too. For dual channel i need to insert the second stick in third slot am i right?