Single VS Dual SSD

gm-madi

Respectable
Nov 26, 2017
All SSD's are 2.5' Sata III

so, 500Gb SSD for 80€ and 240Gb for 38€, then i heard about Raid0 problems in case Data is lost, i thought you just plug 5 SSDs and you are good to go,

1- am confused, i get 500Gb as Solo or i mix 500 + 240, whats the rist in mixing ?
2- is HHD + SSD also a mix that needs Raid cancer ? because i can just do 500Gb + 500 HDD thats more than enough for me, i wont pass 600gb at all.
3- is M.2 + SSD also a mix and Raid ?

Solution

1. No. Absolutely not. Remove the term RAID from your mindset

2. Basically, yes. Just like any other drives.
As seen above, my system has 5x SSD's. No RAID in sight.

rynz101

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
uhm...
If you run two different drives in raid0, the configuration will default and run at the slowest drives speed. If you have two different drives and one is 500gb and the other is 200gb. you'll get a 400gb raid drive. The faster drive will drop capacity and performance to match the slowest drive in the array. You should really only raid identical drives for these reasons. it makes more sense to maybe raid a couple mechanical drives but not so much ssd's

in general you mix 3 things:
raids have different configs. All of them share single problem. DISC NEEDS to have same size. ALL disc space ABOVE minimal drive in cluster is lost.
if you mix 500+756+256 you will end up with 256*3 used and all other wasted.
Second thing: raid works as fast as slowest drive in EITHER read or write, so adding HDD means you work on HDD speeds. explanation bellow:

raid 0 is SPLIT data on all discs. damage one disc, all data is lost. in general you write much faster and read slower. disc space is size1 + size2.
raid 1 is DUPPLICATE. you read much faster and write slower. disc space is MIN(disc1, disc2)
raid 01, 10 is both mentioned above. you need 4 drives to make it.
IN GENERAL you should not raid anything if you don't understand what you need.
from what I see you need just 600 GB of space.

are you completely sure you need 600 GB in single drive and cannot SPLIT DATA without raid ?
its much safer and easier to maintain, much less riscs involved.

you might want to use AMD storemi tech. Its meant to mix and match RAM+HDD+ SSD+ m2 and on CPU level it will make sure stuff you use the most is in fastest place. it can make single drive from 2 GB of ram, SSD + HDD and you will end up with raging speed drive with quite nice peformance.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

ok ill try to answer this, but one thing to get clear, raid for ssds is unnecessary (no much real benefit)

q1: no you cant mix anything i has to be 2 identical drives from model to its size (for best results)
q2: same as question one , no
q3: same as question one and two, no

gm-madi

Respectable
Nov 26, 2017
so you guys mean i can Run 2 SSDs simply with no configuration ? which is Raid,
am scared of Raid0 because of risk of loosing Data when 1 drive is lost.

i dont care about super high speed, i just want to run 2 SSDs ( 500gb + 240gb ) , is it achievable ?

gm-madi

Respectable
Nov 26, 2017

i just google single vs dual SSDs and Raid risks poped up in reaserchers,
can i run 2 SSDs simply with no Raid ? i just can't afford 300€ for 1T SSD, and 240gb = 38€ + 500gb for 80€ is much better deal

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple drives is NO problem.
HDD or SSD.
My main system has 5x SSD. Each drive has its own purpose in life, and each its own drive letter.
P3ePOPK.png

RAID 0...that's a whole other problem. and absolutely NOT needed, especially with SSD's.

gm-madi

Respectable
Nov 26, 2017

questions are simple,
1 - do i need a Raid config to run 2x SSDs ?
2- just plug 240g as Boot drive C:/ and the 500g as storage D:/ thats it ? they run fine with the regular speed no issues ?

USAFRet

Titan

1. No. Absolutely not. Remove the term RAID from your mindset

2. Basically, yes. Just like any other drives.
As seen above, my system has 5x SSD's. No RAID in sight.

Solution

gm-madi

Respectable
Nov 26, 2017

as simple as that, thank you so much