Sionyx Aurora, Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giterdunn

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
This really is an amazing camera, just looking through the viewfinder beats my genIII+ night vision and taking a photo/video looks even better. It detects IR light and visual at the same time, you can see IR illuminators and laser beams, and can even see plants and the Earth radiating all the IR they absorbed from the sun at night, giving them a purple hue. Some limited thermal ability too, can see things like stove cools as still warm even after they have cooled to the point of no longer radiating visible light. And that was through glass too, which is confusing to me because I thought thermal couldn't see through glass.
getpubliccontent

SketchupWarehouse
I drew an exterior surfaces sketchup model, accurate to ~.25mm, to help with designing accessories like mounts, lens caps, etc.

Now the reason I signed up for this forum, I need help identifying this connector:
261hk0p.jpg
Camera side, male
fjgowx.jpg
Viewfinder side, female docking connector
They look like mini-HDMI and are roughly the same size and shape, maybe .5mm off, but they have 30 pins in 2 rows of 15. Anybody seen this before? I'd like to interface with it and run an external display, that's really the only thing this camera doesn't have is a fold out screen like most camcorders.
I'd also like to point out that the viewfinder physical dock is a more precise mounting point than the 1/4-20 tripod scew and angle post, so I'm designing a mount adapter that replaces the viewfinder and mounts a display too.

Here are some pics taken by the camera, all taken at 1:00AM:
vdk6ef.jpg
Night mode, total dark room, can't see my hand an inch in front of my face. The detail isn't great but you can tell what you're looking at, easy to see it's a $20 bill, box says "FUSE" on it, etc. The color is spot on, brown wood desk, green money, black gun, tan holster. In my genIII NVG this is all a green blur, and gen II needs an illuminator to see event that well.
211sykw.jpg
Twilight mode, 1:00AM, overcast sky, no near source ambient light, only distant yard lights, maybe ~1/2 mile away.
mls86.jpg
Same conditions in night mode, plants turn purple because they are shedding all the heat they absorbed during the day. People may appear purple too, we're certainly hotter than plants. I'm not sure haven't tested on people yet.
11trkeo.jpg
Now here's the cool part, same time of night but different night, same camera settings. Only difference is no clouds and starlight, no moon. If stars make this much difference then moonlight should be amazing. To my naked eye the only things discernible in these scenes are the silhouette of the treeline against the sky, because there is light polution from a town ~5 miles away in that direction. Also, my yard light is turned off, the only external light in these photos is a hallway nightlight shining through the window, where the small tree to the right appears lit up.
15d9nqw.jpg
Picking up heat from stove coils, turned on for a few secs, but had been off for a couple minutes in this pic, so something around just warm to the touch. Also, that glass cook top is opaque to my eyes, this sees right through it.

Giterdunn

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Yeah I emailed them to report an app bug, they responded about the bug but ignored my questions about the connector and supporting 3rd party development. I actually wanted to buy just an image sensor and build an ultra-rugged camera around it, but they want $2700 for the same chip that's in the $700 camera. I hope they become more development friendly in the future, I think this thing has the potential to be a gopro killer with enough aftermarket support.
Do you think I should post this question in the hardware section? I put it here because I searched the site for Sionyx and didn't find anything, thought I'd share my experiences with it for people who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS