Sister causes unbearable lag

Feb 10, 2019
Hi. So to cut a long story short, whenever my sister is awake my internet is horrible. I can browse websites but I definitely cannot play any kind of game (CS:GO is the main game I play but it applies to every game.)

She's always doing one of three things: Netflix, gaming on her xbox/PC, on her phone

It has progressively gotten worse and now it's at the point where it is just..... I mean I may as well be staring at my walls. I have anywhere from 55-70 download speed when she is not on the internet (sleeping) and when she is on it, it goes to 30-40. I know 30-40 SHOULD be more than enough to comfortably game on and our plan should definitely be enough for both of us gaming/ watching netflix simultaneously. One second my ping will be 20 and two seconds later it jumps to 100+ and goes back down. It fluctuates literally every two seconds and this causes me to kinda "freeze" or almost like go slow-mo and then it goes super fast to catch up. So I'm just teleporting around like an idiot. The only time I can play is from 1AM - 7AM. Getting frustrating :(

This is driving me NUTS and I will do unspeakable things for whoever can help.

Some more information:
BT is my ISP (UK)
It is just me and my sister connected to the internet
I am connected via Ethernet
She is using wireless on all of her devices
Our router doesn't support QoS so that's out of the question
We already had an engineer come out to "fix it" except they made it.... worse?

PLSPLSPLS HELP THANKS!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Download speed is a function of the bandwidth.

When it comes to gaming and similar usages latency and jitter and stuff like that play a more important role than mere bandwidth.

What is the make and model of your router? I'm not sure you can really manage packets/protocols and give priority to gaming-related traffic without QoS.

Multiple devices being connected at the same time don't help either as the router has to allocate some resources, bandwidth and processing time to each one of them, which in turn becomes a burden on the router making it harder for it to handle all requests. What's more, not having QoS and similar features I assume it's not a very strong either to begin with.

I mean there's so much any router can handle. An ordinary home router is not designed to handle for example 15 devices connected simultaneously. They might be able to handle them as far as letting them connect to the interface but that's it more or less. Therefore, 3-4 devices they can handle but when it comes to gaming and other time/latency-sensitive usages they struggle.

I guess you should convince your sister to give you some room on the router outside the graveyard shift time frame. Maybe disconnect her phone when she's gaming or take turns playing your games at different hours.

You have no hope unless you get a router that has QoS. In this case it is highly likely you have a problem called bufferbloat which you need a very specialized form of QoS to fix. It really only affects game traffic. You likely can watch netflix with out buffering and stalling because it is better at hiding the problem.

Still even a router with more basic QoS can do the job. You just need one that can limit all her devices to say 40mbsp maximum which should leave more than enough available for your game and other usage.

Without QoS you have no way to fix this.

You need to discuss with her what she is really doing. Something like netflix even at 4k will have little to no effect on a connection as large as yours. It has to be something like file downloads causing it. You really would have to get some agreement before you implement QoS anyway.

The method that always works of course is to buy your internet connection. Most ISP are more than happy to sell a second connection to the house.

Feb 10, 2019

70% of the time it's usually only my PC and her Netflix that are connected. Also I should have stated this more obviously in my original post but this hasn't always been an issue which is why it irks me so much. Previously she has been able to do whatever she wants and it never caused any issues for me. I am just confused.

I am using the BT HomeHub 5.

If this only recently started I would be more suspect that you are getting errors on your internet connection that only show when there is more traffic on it.

You could test it by setting steam to download a game a some limited rate say 30mbps and then see if your game is affected. You could also ping the ISP first router to see if you are getting errors on the connection to your house.

With DSL connections only the ISP can actually see the true quality of the line coming to your house.