Site suggestion: Vintage hardware and software forums

Are you interested in a "Vintage" addition the the forums?

• Yes! Option 1 would be cool!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! Option 2 would be awesome!.

• Absolutely not!!! Tom's forums should only discuss cutting edge or recent tech.

• Don't you have kids to chase off your lawn, old man?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Z-Tech

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I would love to see vintage categories added to the forums. There are many people like myself who have new top of the line gaming systems who also appreciate computer history. I have have a large collection of old systems such as a Commodore 64, Atari 800x, Apple II, Tandy Color Computer as well as a bunch of software.

I have two suggestions:
1) Add a vintage forum to the "Hardware" and "Software" categories.
or
2) Add a vintage category with hardware, software, and possibly gaming (NES anyone?) as forums under that category.

Anyway, its just an idea. I also can see Tom's wanting to stay cutting edge and not wanting to live in the past.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm not sure there would be enough interest to justify a separate forum subsection for those categories. I know some people are legitimate collectors of technology but there are website devoted to that sort of thing.

Personally the idea of old tech is always great but it never lives up to how good it was when it was new. I actually had Pong when I was a kid and I spent hours begging my parents for Atari games. Those suckers were expensive! $50 a game in the early 80s is like $150 a game today. We had Apple IIe computers at school and I was super excited when the original Mac was released. Pull out any of that stuff today and there is about 5 seconds of "oh I remember that!" and then I want my real computer back! :lol:

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I agree - this is actually quite a cool idea, but don't know if there'd be enough of a demand for it.
Is there a nascent vintage computing community out there currently? Are there blogs and pages dedicated to the subject? Would there be enough to warrant ongoing discussion here?

randomizer

Champion
Not quite as vintage as those items, but until a few years ago there was still a fairly active 3dfx community. I think it has mostly dried up now, although there are still 3dfx enthusiasts around if you go looking or already know some.