Question Site to Site VPN

RavenRM

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Could you please assist me with site to site VPN?

Basically all i want to do is have my 5 computers at site A be on the same network as the 5 computers on site B. Either through mapped network drives or even if possible have them be visible under the network tab within windows. I will buy any VPN software needed also the Hardware needed. My idea was to get a Server(pc)at Site A and a client(pc) at site B connecting the two points but im not sure what steps to take.

Site A just has a Standard router/modem connecting the network to the internet with a switch connecting the users to the network.

1. Site-to-site usually involves the VPN running at the firewalls.

2. If you are able to segregate the private IP ranges so both sites can be on the same subnet, this makes it simpler but otherwise your firewall will have to do address translations, complicate matters, require better $hardware.

3. Then you have to decide whether you want ONE internet gateway (better security), or each site their own Internet gateway (less security but more efficient).

Needless to say you should have decent bandwidth service on both up and down, depending upon what you are doing.

Certain business accounts guarantee minimum bandwidth.

And before u can ask me for more details, I don't have any, am only good for the 100 ft up view. :(

Last edited:
pfsense does site-to-site really easily with openvpn. it only takes 20 minutes to get setup openvpn itself has a lot of performance issues, but this really depends on your upload speeds. It's very helpful to have atleast 1 static public ip. If you don't you can pay for a domain and update the ip. every time it changed the connection would break until it's updated.

If you can't get that running on both sides you can try running dedicated servers for server/client role. I'm not sure of any that have a very easy setup like pfsense. in your router you would have to do some static routes in order to get the CIDR of the respective remote site to the vpn server.

I don't recommend trying to run a vpn on a consumer router. the ideal openvpn setup is AES-NI on both sides and using 128 or 256b AES GCN.

TRENDING THREADS