Six 2.5” High-Capacity Notebook Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpitnathany

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
On the western digital hard disk page the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT is mentioned as 750 TB please correct it.

Nice article as a whole

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Good to have all the latest data in one place. Wish Dell had put in the 750GB Scorpio Black instead of 750GB Momentus in my XPS15.

One minor point: good to know that i7-920 is now part of Sandybridge. Can you check???

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Wonder how well these things survive the drop test. If they can survive a fall that a SSD can sustain then I'll be up for it. Other than that wish higher capacity SSDs become cheaper.

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Western Digital hard drives sound good in theory for laptops, but they're not. I would never use one unless they fix a fatal flaw.

What flaw? The fact that the hard drive automatically goes to sleep (parks its head) after eight seconds of inactivity, and since this is hardwired into the firmware it completely dismisses what you set in your Power Options in the Windows 7 Control Panel. Why is this bad? Because if the HDD is inactive for more than eight seconds it needs to unpark its head, and that creates a very noticeable lag when launching applications or working with files because the process takes a few seconds to complete, not to mention it puts more stress on the HDD mechanics.

Unless it's simply for a storage drive where you don't care about performance I recommend you go with Seagate, Hitachi, or Samsung for laptop HDDs instead.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Current prices are a bit higher than what is mentioned in the article, actually pretty scary:

Hitachi 750GB $140-160
Samsung 1TB $220
WD 750GB $160
WD 1TB $230

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Current prices are a bit higher than what is mentioned in the article, actually pretty scary:Hitachi 750GB $140-160Samsung 1TB $220WD 750GB $160WD 1TB $230[/citation]

That's because of the incident at WD's factory

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]That's because of the incident at WD's factory[/citation]
I was looking at Newegg and a 500GB Caviar Black that I had bought a year ago for $50-$60 was $150.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Current prices are a bit higher than what is mentioned in the article, actually pretty scary:Hitachi 750GB $140-160Samsung 1TB $220WD 750GB $160WD 1TB $230[/citation]

Yeah. Hard drive prices would have made for a great halloween article - they'd frighten all system builders and anyone looking for a storage upgrade. And we'll supposedly be seeing them like that for a while yet.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]BTW, whats with the high prices on HDDs nowdays? i heard that the prices rised because some floding in some country?[/citation]
Flooding in Thailand, yep.

From toms (link up above the discussion)
The hard drive market is reacting to the heavy floods in Thailand.

Zoom
Prices for hard drives have jumped by as much as 50 percent within one week, market research firm IHS said. About a quarter of all hard drives are manufactured in Thailand and it appears that all major vendors are affected in some way.

Western Digital previously said that it may see a revenue decline of about 60 percent in the current quarter and told German publication Golem.de that it will be able to produce only 22 to 26 million drives this quarter, instead of the planned 58 million units. A spokesperson said that WD "currently waits for the factories to dry" to be able to restart its manufacturing tools. What makes matters worse are the usually thin profit margins in the HDD industry, which means that manufacturers typically have only five to seven days of material supply.

A Seagate manager told CRN India that the company expects and "acute" shortage of drives and that the manufacturer expects prices to increase. However, there was no information how sharp this increase can be. Both WD and Seagate said that the floods in Thailand have created a problem for the industry that will take several quarters to resolve.

Other sources:

CRN
PC World

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]arpitnathany[/nom]On the western digital hard disk page the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT is mentioned as 750 TB please correct it.Nice article as a whole[/citation]
750 TB? i did not know that they made such large hard drives...maybe you mean 750GB :)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]acyuta[/nom]Good to have all the latest data in one place. Wish Dell had put in the 750GB Scorpio Black instead of 750GB Momentus in my XPS15. One minor point: good to know that i7-920 is now part of Sandybridge. Can you check???[/citation]
you can always replace it yourself, lol....it's not that expensive, lol

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
About the Scorpio Black 750GB drive and it's power consumption. I put one in my friend's Asus 1005HA netbook and it doesn't get very warm and cut the boot time in half versus the stock one platter 160GB 5400RPM drive.
The heat/power consumption isn't an issue.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls[/nom]Western Digital hard drives sound good in theory for laptops, but they're not. I would never use one unless they fix a fatal flaw.What flaw? The fact that the hard drive automatically goes to sleep (parks its head) after eight seconds of inactivity, and since this is hardwired into the firmware it completely dismisses what you set in your Power Options in the Windows 7 Control Panel. Why is this bad? Because if the HDD is inactive for more than eight seconds it needs to unpark its head, and that creates a very noticeable lag when launching applications or working with files because the process takes a few seconds to complete, not to mention it puts more stress on the HDD mechanics.Unless it's simply for a storage drive where you don't care about performance I recommend you go with Seagate, Hitachi, or Samsung for laptop HDDs instead.[/citation]

Hmm, my WD Scorpio Black 750GB park it's heads about once a minute. I can hear it lock. But I have never experienced any lag from it and so far it hasn't worn out. My load cycle count is a 50,000 so far no problems with 2696 of power on hours.

techsgin

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Well, I believe that all reviews should start with a durability/reliability chart, as "full head crash" means 0 (Zero) performance for quite a while. :)

G

Dear All, don't go for WD, its totally waste, once the warranty is over your disk will start dying. I have 2 no's WD Scorpio Blue both are Our Of Warranty and it's got many bad sectors now. I bought it on 2009 and the warranty is finished on 2012 middle. As per my experience you can go for Hitachi or Toshiba Hard Disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.