Six-Core Intel Xeon 7400 Shipping September 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Alvine[/nom]=O Holy shi for that money you can build high end system [/citation]

These are for enterprise server application (major datacenters) and NOT for gaming PCs...

So these prices, especially compared to the price and processing power of the previous generation (7300), are not that surprising.

^Yep and mainly because the silicon used for these CPUs is of the highest quality available. They basically are the most reliable CPUs out there.

Avery server CPU is this way and cost much more, even AMD and IBM server CPUs.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]Alvine[/nom]=O Holy shi for that money you can build high end system [/citation]
When one minute (or hour or even day) of the system operation is worth its price (like it is in enterprise), then the price itself is one of the least concerns.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]When one minute (or hour or even day) of the system operation is worth its price (like it is in enterprise), then the price itself is one of the least concerns.[/citation]

I agree, I was working for a company and our tools went down for something like 3 days (software patch issue I believe, but I was never told the actual reason) and for each of these 3 days they told me they where losing something like 2-3 million dollars. Mind you this was not that huge of a company.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I happen to think the Crysis jokes are wholly appropriate lol. To think its almost a year since release and most machines still can't run Crysis with all the bells and whistles turned on. Which belies the point as to why no one bought the game in the first place. Vote me down as you will but its true.

crockdaddy that is moreso because the graphics power has not been available to push Crysis along.

My Crysis CD is sitting here waiting too ...

Runs like crap on a Q6600@3Ghz with a 9600GT.

Plus I am trying to get rid of all my Nvidia cards ... before they all fail anyway. No point in overclocking an NVidia card when we know all of the 7 series and up are failty.

Better to have 2 X 4850's (or 4879's) or an X2 version ... so the story goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.