[SOLVED] six pin connector with twice molex or once sata on the other end ?

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I have two adapter cables for the six pin connector on a graphics card.
Both work but they have different input connectors.
One of them has two molex adapters on the other end and the other one has a sata connector. My power supply suports both methods. Now my question is, why does one of them need two times molex ?
I thought that sata and molex connectors can output similar amounts of power.
Is there an obvious reason to prefer one of the two methods ?

Solution
It's generally recommended that if the PSU doesn't have the physical connections needed for your hardwars (without adapters) then it is unsuitable and likely not up to the task. In your case, the power draw for your graphics card is likely higher than would be expected from something running off a sata or molex connection. That's aside from the fact that adapters don't always contact perfectly leading to arcing and other undesireable faults.
Ideally you should replace the unit with a reputeable make/model that can handle the load and without the use of adapters.
List all your hardware specs

kanewolf

Titan
I have two adapter cables for the six pin connector on a graphics card.
Both work but they have different input connectors.
One of them has two molex adapters on the other end and the other one has a sata connector. My power supply suports both methods. Now my question is, why does one of them need two times molex ?
I thought that sata and molex connectors can output similar amounts of power.
Is there an obvious reason to prefer one of the two methods ?
BOTH OF THEM ARE BAD. The SATA is worse. They are a fire waiting to happen. If your power supply does not have the correct connectors, you need a different power supply.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Well, it also does have a six pin connector , which i am currently using. So i don't have to replace it. My previous PC didn't.

Why are those both bad ? I used the SATA for quite some time in the past without problems.

Last edited:
It's generally recommended that if the PSU doesn't have the physical connections needed for your hardwars (without adapters) then it is unsuitable and likely not up to the task. In your case, the power draw for your graphics card is likely higher than would be expected from something running off a sata or molex connection. That's aside from the fact that adapters don't always contact perfectly leading to arcing and other undesireable faults.
Ideally you should replace the unit with a reputeable make/model that can handle the load and without the use of adapters.
List all your hardware specs

Solution

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I was just asking because i had those adapters still laying around because of my previous PC. It made me curious.
My current PSU does have the required six pin connector.
The PSU i use at the moment is a be quiet 430 Watt unit with a 80 + rating.
I did some searching on google and see the point of upgrading to a different PSU by now. Luckily nothing went wrong when i used my GTX 750 TI with one of those adapters in a Fujitsu Esprimo P900 years ago.

Thanks for the quick replies, they have put me on the right track.

TRENDING THREADS