[SOLVED] Size in the cost of latancy?

Oct 23, 2022
Hey guys!
So i'm thinkin about upgrading from Kingston HyperX FURY Black [HX436C17FB3K2/32] 32gb to smthn that is 64gb for music production purposes.
I'm looking at the latency here and most of 32gb kits have it at 17-21-21 on average while 36gb kits have 18-22-22 average latency. Also! 3200mhz ram beats 3600mhz by a lot. A 64gb kit of 3200mhz has the latency of 16-19-19 which beats my 32gb 3600mhz kit at 17-21-21 by a whole lot. So um... I said earlier that i'm upgrading for the sake of music production but im also interested what is more important for games here, cause that is just as important lol.
Any word of advise would help here.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for your reply!

MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
i9-10900k
3080ti
be quite straight power 850w

So I was also reading into what memory speads are supported by my mobo and my cpu, my mobo can run up to 4800 MHz whereas my cpu can only run 2933mhz at stock values. I overclock my cpu but I couldn't find whats the max memory frequency I can go for. I'm also considering buying a 4000mhz ddr4 kit if that is supported by my processor.

So your CPU only offically supports 2933mhz, however the IMC on most Intel chips are VERY robust, and they often work well beyond spec. With that said, that is very much down to the silicon lottery, and how each chip performs individually. You very well may be able to get up to 4800mhz, but you won't...
Hey guys!
So i'm thinkin about upgrading from Kingston HyperX FURY Black [HX436C17FB3K2/32] 32gb to smthn that is 64gb for music production purposes.
I'm looking at the latency here and most of 32gb kits have it at 17-21-21 on average while 36gb kits have 18-22-22 average latency. Also! 3200mhz ram beats 3600mhz by a lot. A 64gb kit of 3200mhz has the latency of 16-19-19 which beats my 32gb 3600mhz kit at 17-21-21 by a whole lot. So um... I said earlier that i'm upgrading for the sake of music production but im also interested what is more important for games here, cause that is just as important lol.
Any word of advise would help here.
Cheers!

Hey there,

Most important here is what system you are using. Hard to tell you otherwise what would benefit most.

List your PC specs.

If running an AMD system, 2 x matched kit of 16 or 32gb dual ranked DIMM might offer the best latency.

Reactions: Crimson Morrow
A 64gb kit of 3200mhz has the latency of 16-19-19 which beats my 32gb 3600mhz kit at 17-21-21 by a whole lot

A 64gb kit of 3200mhz has a latency of CL16.The 3600 with CL17. However, the difference in speed between 3200 and 3600 should offset the latency, so they should be close or more on the side of 3600 than the other way.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022
Hey there,

Most important here is what system you are using. Hard to tell you otherwise what would benefit most.

List your PC specs.

If running an AMD system, 2 x matched kit of 16 or 32gb dual ranked DIMM might offer the best latency.
Thanks for your reply!

MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
i9-10900k
3080ti
hyperx fury 32gb 3600mhz

So I was also reading into what memory speads are supported by my mobo and my cpu, my mobo can run up to 4800 MHz whereas my cpu can only run 2933mhz at stock values. I overclock my cpu but I couldn't find whats the max memory frequency I can go for. I'm also considering buying a 4000mhz ddr4 kit if that is supported by my processor. Can I go above 3600mhz?

Thanks for your reply!

MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
i9-10900k
3080ti

So I was also reading into what memory speads are supported by my mobo and my cpu, my mobo can run up to 4800 MHz whereas my cpu can only run 2933mhz at stock values. I overclock my cpu but I couldn't find whats the max memory frequency I can go for. I'm also considering buying a 4000mhz ddr4 kit if that is supported by my processor.

So your CPU only offically supports 2933mhz, however the IMC on most Intel chips are VERY robust, and they often work well beyond spec. With that said, that is very much down to the silicon lottery, and how each chip performs individually. You very well may be able to get up to 4800mhz, but you won't know until you try, and to do that you have to buy the bloody ram!!! That doesn't help at all.

DIMMs rated well beyond spec, will not even be on the QVL to check for compatibility. It's a tough choice.

You can run Aida64 to check mem throughput, bandwidth and latency, and see if the difference in CL adds up to what you think they might. But to be perfectly honest, there should be very little difference between them if as you say it's 3200mhx CL16 V 3600mhz CL17.

Unfortunately, you take a chance on ram when it's not officially supported.

Solution
Oct 23, 2022
So your CPU only offically supports 2933mhz, however the IMC on most Intel chips are VERY robust, and they often work well beyond spec. With that said, that is very much down to the silicon lottery, and how each chip performs individually. You very well may be able to get up to 4800mhz, but you won't know until you try, and to do that you have to buy the bloody ram!!! That doesn't help at all.

DIMMs rated well beyond spec, will not even be on the QVL to check for compatibility. It's a tough choice.

You can run Aida64 to check mem throughput, bandwidth and latency, and see if the difference in CL adds up to what you think they might. But to be perfectly honest, there should be very little difference between them if as you say it's 3200mhx CL16 V 3600mhz CL17.

Unfortunately, you take a chance on ram when it's not officially supported.
Thank you so much!
That cleared out a lot of my questions.
But there's still one more though. The kit size. As far as I can tell the more actual gigs of ram you get the more latency it ads up, right? How does that correlate to the actual perfomance? 32gb 3600mhz L17 vs 64gb 3600mhz L18 vs 64gb 4000mhz L20

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
This can be true if populating 4 DIMM slots. If you stick with 2 x 16, or 2 x 32gb, this negates that issue somewhat, as it puts less stress on the memory controller. Sometimes you can bump the SOC voltage, which can help offset this when 4 DIMMs are populated. Some tinkering involved.

Oct 23, 2022
This can be true if populating 4 DIMM slots. If you stick with 2 x 16, or 2 x 32gb, this negates that issue somewhat, as it puts less stress on the memory controller. Sometimes you can bump the SOC voltage, which can help offset this when 4 DIMMs are populated. Some tinkering involved.
Gotcha
One more thing.
Comparing these two stick which one would be faster?
Kingston Hyperx Fury with 17-21-21-32 latency or G.Skill Ripjaws 16 - 19 - 19 - 39
I'm asking about these two, cause the 1st 3 latency numbers are a bit better on G.Skill, but the tRAS(the last value) is a lot better on hyperx. I've read about what these numbers mean, what latencies do they represent exactly, but still, looking at examples like these it's hard for me to tell which one would be better. They are both identical except for the latency numbers.
Any thoughts?

Gotcha
One more thing.
Comparing these two stick which one would be faster?
Kingston Hyperx Fury with 17-21-21-32 latency or G.Skill Ripjaws 16 - 19 - 19 - 39
I'm asking about these two, cause the 1st 3 latency numbers are a bit better on G.Skill, but the tRAS(the last value) is a lot better on hyperx. I've read about what these numbers mean, what latencies do they represent exactly, but still, looking at examples like these it's hard for me to tell which one would be better. They are both identical except for the latency numbers.
Any thoughts?
17-21-21-32 is a typo....not a real thing, just checked onlie shops and they actualy ydo have it in item description, but its nonsence...kingston spec sheet lists just 17-21-21 without tRAS
tRAS is sum of CAS+ RAS to CAS with maybe few ns on top of it (depends on IC), so 17-21-21-38 would be lowest minimum you could use, but most likely it would be +5ns around 43

Oct 23, 2022
17-21-21-32 is a typo....not a real thing, just checked onlie shops and they actualy ydo have it in item description, but its nonsence...kingston spec sheet lists just 17-21-21 without tRAS
tRAS is sum of CAS+ RAS to CAS with maybe few ns on top of it (depends on IC), so 17-21-21-38 would be lowest minimum you could use, but most likely it would be +5ns around 43
Thank you so much for your reply!
Do you think that increase in latency will be any noticeable? Considering that the 64gb is going to be 4000mhz?