I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my computer I lose over
1GB of disk space. I tracked this down to my System Restore - in each Restore
Point there is one file which is the same size as my pagefile (1.1GB).

I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System Restore is set to a
max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and keeps growing until I clean out with
Disk Cleanup.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Earl, you don't need your System Restore that big,
Reset the slider bar down to 3-7 percent.

The System Restore, only restores the system files, not all the programs
installed.

"Earl Grey" <Earl Grey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my computer I lose
> over
> 1GB of disk space. I tracked this down to my System Restore - in each
> Restore
> Point there is one file which is the same size as my pagefile (1.1GB).
>
> I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System Restore is set to a
> max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and keeps growing until I clean out with
> Disk Cleanup.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Earl,

I would suggest turning off System Restore and then turn it back on to remove all the
restore points. Then reduce the amount of disk space used to store restore points to
around 1GB and keep an eye on its size.

You can find some tips for adjusting disk usage on this page.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

Also, what service pack level is XP Pro at, SP-1 or SP-2?

Use the Event Viewer to check for any errors:
Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Earl Grey wrote:
> I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my
> computer I lose over 1GB of disk space. I tracked this
> down to my System Restore - in each Restore Point there
> is one file which is the same size as my pagefile
> (1.1GB).
>
> I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System
> Restore is set to a max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and
> keeps growing until I clean out with Disk Cleanup.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks Bert, I'll try turning off and back on. It's XP Pro SP2. I've checked
the Event Logs and there are NO entries under sourse sr or srservice!

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Earl,
>
> I would suggest turning off System Restore and then turn it back on to remove all the
> restore points. Then reduce the amount of disk space used to store restore points to
> around 1GB and keep an eye on its size.
>
> You can find some tips for adjusting disk usage on this page.
> Keeping System Restore Healthy
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>
> Also, what service pack level is XP Pro at, SP-1 or SP-2?
>
> Use the Event Viewer to check for any errors:
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
> sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
> upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
> information for each of the two event here.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>
> Earl Grey wrote:
> > I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my
> > computer I lose over 1GB of disk space. I tracked this
> > down to my System Restore - in each Restore Point there
> > is one file which is the same size as my pagefile
> > (1.1GB).
> >
> > I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System
> > Restore is set to a max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and
> > keeps growing until I clean out with Disk Cleanup.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Squire,

A better approach would be to adjust the amount of disk space used rather than
percentages.
Resizing the data store by percentage would depend on the size of the partition.

Here are some tips on adjusting the data store.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html#AdjustDiskSpace

--

Squire wrote:
> Earl, you don't need your System Restore that big,
> Reset the slider bar down to 3-7 percent.
>
> The System Restore, only restores the system files, not
> all the programs installed.
>

> "Earl Grey" <Earl Grey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message
>> I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my
>> computer I lose over
>> 1GB of disk space. I tracked this down to my System
>> Restore - in each Restore
>> Point there is one file which is the same size as my
>> pagefile (1.1GB). I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System
>> Restore is set to a max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and
>> keeps growing until I clean out with Disk Cleanup.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?

You're welcome Earl. Keep us posted.

--

Earl Grey wrote:
> Thanks Bert, I'll try turning off and back on. It's XP
> Pro SP2. I've checked the Event Logs and there are NO
> entries under sourse sr or srservice!
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Earl,
>>
>> I would suggest turning off System Restore and then turn
>> it back on to remove all the restore points. Then reduce
>> the amount of disk space used to store restore points to
>> around 1GB and keep an eye on its size.
>>
>> You can find some tips for adjusting disk usage on this
>> page.
>> Keeping System Restore Healthy
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>>
>> Also, what service pack level is XP Pro at, SP-1 or SP-2?
>>
>> Use the Event Viewer to check for any errors:
>> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
>> Click on System in the left pane.
>> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
>> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
>> look for "sr" and "srservice".
>> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
>> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
>> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
>> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>
>> Earl Grey wrote:
>>> I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my
>>> computer I lose over 1GB of disk space. I tracked this
>>> down to my System Restore - in each Restore Point there
>>> is one file which is the same size as my pagefile
>>> (1.1GB).
>>>
>>> I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System
>>> Restore is set to a max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and
>>> keeps growing until I clean out with Disk Cleanup.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had this problem?

Sam

said ...
> I'm using XP Pro. Everytime I turn off, or restart, my computer I lose over
> 1GB of disk space. I tracked this down to my System Restore - in each Restore
> Point there is one file which is the same size as my pagefile (1.1GB).
>
> I don't get this with other XP machines I use. System Restore is set to a
> max of 3.5GB but it ignores this and keeps growing until I clean out with
> Disk Cleanup.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

I've had a very similar problem (with XP Home, though) and no-one here
or elsewhere has been able to resolve it. It doesn't matter what size I
set the space for restore point, I lose a further approx. 0.8GB on each
boot. I don't get a new restore point each time, though, the space
just seems to be eaten up with nothing to show for it. Turning off
system restore reclaims all my lost space, but if I then turn on system
restore again, the same problem comes back so I have just left systerm
restore switched off for many weeks now.

If anyone can tell me how to stop this problem happening I'll be
delighted to know!
--
Sam

Hi Sam,

Check and see if there are any drives/partitions being monitored by System Restore other
than the one Windows is installed on, and disable them.

How to disable a monitored drive
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

> I've had a very similar problem (with XP Home, though)
> and no-one here or elsewhere has been able to resolve it.
> It doesn't matter what size I set the space for restore
> point, I lose a further approx. 0.8GB on each boot. I
> don't get a new restore point each time, though, the
> space just seems to be eaten up with nothing to show for
> it. Turning off system restore reclaims all my lost
> space, but if I then turn on system restore again, the
> same problem comes back so I have just left systerm
> restore switched off for many weeks now.
>
> If anyone can tell me how to stop this problem happening
> I'll be delighted to know!

Sam

Bert Kinney said ...
> Check and see if there are any drives/partitions being monitored by System Restore other
> than the one Windows is installed on, and disable them.

Thanks - I have tried that but it didn't help.
--
Sam

Hi Sam,

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here.

Run Disk Clean-up to get rid of any temp files.

If you haven't reinstalled System Restore I would suggest doing so. This will reset all
the registry settings for System Restore. Test System Restore by creating a new restore
point. Create a new empty folder on the desktop. Try restoring to the new restore point.

Set the amount of disk space used to hold restore points to 1GB.

A few questions:
Is SP-2 installed?
How much used space and free space is there on the drive/partition Windows is installed
on?

--

Sam wrote:
> Bert Kinney said ...
>> Check and see if there are any drives/partitions being
>> monitored by System Restore other than the one Windows
>> is installed on, and disable them.
>>
> Thanks - I have tried that but it didn't help.

Sam

Bert Kinney said ...
> Hi Sam,
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
> sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
> upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
> information for each of the two event here.
>
> Run Disk Clean-up to get rid of any temp files.
>
> If you haven't reinstalled System Restore I would suggest doing so. This will reset all
> the registry settings for System Restore. Test System Restore by creating a new restore
> point. Create a new empty folder on the desktop. Try restoring to the new restore point.
>
> Set the amount of disk space used to hold restore points to 1GB.
>
> A few questions:
> Is SP-2 installed?
> How much used space and free space is there on the drive/partition Windows is installed
> on?

will give it a go, thanks.
--
Sam

Sam

Sam said ...
> Bert Kinney said ...
> > Hi Sam,
> >
> > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> > Click on System in the left pane.
> > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
> > sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
> > upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
> > information for each of the two event here.
> >
> > Run Disk Clean-up to get rid of any temp files.
> >
> > If you haven't reinstalled System Restore I would suggest doing so. This will reset all
> > the registry settings for System Restore. Test System Restore by creating a new restore
> > point. Create a new empty folder on the desktop. Try restoring to the new restore point.
> >
> > Set the amount of disk space used to hold restore points to 1GB.
> >
> > A few questions:
> > Is SP-2 installed?
> > How much used space and free space is there on the drive/partition Windows is installed
> > on?
> >

> will give it a go, thanks.

.... forgot to say XP Home, SP2. c:\ has 25.4GB used, 44GB free. If I
turn on system restore, that will be eaten into at arate of about 0.8GB
per reboot!
--
Sam

Sam

Sam said ...
> Sam said ...
> > Bert Kinney said ...
> > > Hi Sam,
> > >
> > > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> > > Click on System in the left pane.
> > > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
> > > sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> > > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
> > > upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
> > > information for each of the two event here.
> > >
> > > Run Disk Clean-up to get rid of any temp files.
> > >
> > > If you haven't reinstalled System Restore I would suggest doing so. This will reset all
> > > the registry settings for System Restore. Test System Restore by creating a new restore
> > > point. Create a new empty folder on the desktop. Try restoring to the new restore point.
> > >
> > > Set the amount of disk space used to hold restore points to 1GB.
> > >
> > > A few questions:
> > > Is SP-2 installed?
> > > How much used space and free space is there on the drive/partition Windows is installed
> > > on?
> > >

> > will give it a go, thanks.
> >
> ... forgot to say XP Home, SP2. c:\ has 25.4GB used, 44GB free. If I
> turn on system restore, that will be eaten into at arate of about 0.8GB
> per reboot!

I restored system restore and even took a manual restore point and
restored to it as suggested - all went well. However, I still add 0.8GB
or so to the disk space used on each boot, but there are no extra events
in the log each time.

No SR events were in the event log. There are srservice events, e.g.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 115
Date: 26/08/2005
Time: 17:42:14
User: N/A
Computer: CANDR
System Restore monitoring was enabled on all drives.

====

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 110
Date: 26/08/2005
Time: 16:48:00
User: N/A
Computer: CANDR
A restoration to "Sam's test restore point" restore point occurred
successfully.

====

--
Sam