Review SK hynix Platinum P41 SSD Review: The Best Around

lukemcd

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
I'm a little surprised by the availability comments as a US reader because I've been able to purchase the P31 basically at-will.

Also -- this isn't a big thing, but while both DDR4 and LPDDR4 have similar comparative characteristics to DDR3 and LPDDR3 respectively, implying that this is a transitive property is a bit misleading. The standards have very little to do with each other.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm a little surprised by the availability comments as a US reader because I've been able to purchase the P31 basically at-will.

SSDs are usually available everywhere but for some reason some are exclusive in western territories. In this case, SK Hynix SSDs are like never known in my hometown...

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
and we would prefer not to have a built-in heatsink; a separate one which could be optionally applied would add unnecessary cost.

Interesting review. But, I understand this is just your opinion, this opinion should not be the rule, though. Especially, for many consumers that lives in scorched territories and a inexpensive heatsink added (probably an extra ~1-7 bucks in BOM costs) shouldn't break the bank for these companies to add confidence to their customers.

80°C+ is pushing danger zones and what happens if that user were to use this drive in more confined hardware e.g. PS5? 🤔

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Interesting review. But, I understand this is just your opinion, this opinion should not be the rule, though. Especially, for many consumers that lives in scorched territories and a inexpensive heatsink added (probably an extra ~1-7 bucks in BOM costs) shouldn't break the bank for these companies to add confidence to their customers.

80°C+ is pushing danger zones and what happens if that user were to use this drive in more confined hardware e.g. PS5? 🤔

M.2 drives like this one have a thin sheet that does cool down the heat.

View: https://youtu.be/Z4-Tml7y1TM

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016

It adds cost, but is not actually needed. It's good to see that the stupidity of RAMsinks (worthless cosmetics of no functional utility) has not yet taken over the m.2 SSD market - particularly as adding heatsinks to the NAND dies (not the controller) is actively harmful due to their desired elevated operating temperature.
Adding unnecessary m.2 heatsinks elevates the cost for everyone to satisfy those who want extra bling because it 'feels' faster.

Dec 8, 2022
All these folks saying these are impossible to find. Amazon has always had the P31 and P41. In fact the P41 2 TB was selling for $160 USD on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Incredible deal.