Question Sk Hynix + Ryzen 3600 + b450 + XMP ?

Jan 22, 2020
Hi guys,
I just orderd some Crosair Vengeance Ram 3200MHz with Sk Hynix C Die (not samsung B-die which was a mistake) Plus a B450 Mortar Max + Ryzen 3600.
Will i be okay to enable XMP? Or should i get Bdie?

The die type, will not really impact the XMP settings. As long as the DIMMS are rated for 3200mhz with either XMP/DOCP they should work just fine.

With Samsung B-die, you might have better chance of overclocking the ram, or setting tighter timings, which can improve performance.

But they should work fine. Have you checked the DIMMS are on the QVL for the mobo?

You can do that here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX#support-mem-19

Reactions: linargb
Jan 22, 2020
Thank you so much! On the QVL forthe mobo The Dims 1 and 2 are checked (not 4) for the mobo. So i assume it means i could get 2 kits of 2x8Gb ram. = 32Gb but not a kit of 4x8gb.

Thank you so much! On the QVL forthe mobo The Dims 1 and 2 are checked (not 4) for the mobo. So i assume it means i could get 2 kits of 2x8Gb ram. = 32Gb but not a kit of 4x8gb.

Not exactly. Just because the DIMMS in the 4 x aren't on the QVL, just means they haven't been tested with the mobo. It doesn't mean they won't work.

Whilst mixing two sets isn't the best idea, it should be okay. But you have a small risk they may not work. Ryzen used to be picky about ram, but the new B450's are great with almost all matched DIMMS. In this case, if you wanted 32gb, I'd suggest the 4 x kit, instead of 2 x 2 (8gb) sets. You could also go for 2 x 16gbs, but 4 x DIMMS is best for Ryzen and gets the best performance if they are all single ranked DIMMS, or 2 x 16gbs dual ranked DIMMS.

Reactions: linargb
Jan 22, 2020
Thank you again! So if i get the same brand and model but it's 2x2 and 2x2 but same model for booth 2x2 kits so i have 4 of the same ram models in two 2x2 kits. Is that okay? Or do you mean i must get a 4x4 kit because 4x4 kits are designed differently that 2x2 + 2x2 even if those 4 ram are identical?