SK hynix SL308 SSD Review - LAMD Goes TLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im definitely waiting to see if that optimization it lacks is ever implemented by firmware.
If it is (and a new benchmark proves it), it could easily dethrone the 850 as the most recommended product.

Started selling these in place of the SanDisk X400 models because of the WD/SanDisk fake shortage and mega price increase. Everyone that has tried them has been very happy with their performance. Very close to Samsung 850 Evo in performance yet one of the best price points available if they only made a 1TB model.

helopilot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I'd like to see how this drive compares against the Sandisk X400. TomsHardware has yet to review the Sandisk X400. What's up with that?

I've been selling both brands, and the SK Hynix competes very well against the SanDisk X400. Since WD/SanDisk created a shortage in the X400 models and raised prices at the beginning of this month. The SK Hynix has the edge in pricing from around $11 to $25 depending on the model. The SK Hynix seems faster on most specs except for the Seq. write specs. The SanDisk X400 does offer a 5 year warranty to the SK Hynix 3 warranty. For now pricing and good stock it makes the SK Hynix a very nice replacement for the SanDisk X400.

Crucial MX300? IIRC the IMFT 3D NAND is a 30-odd nm node.

Though the MX300 hasn't been particularly compelling so far. It does rule the 750GB capacity... but mostly because nobody cares about 750GB.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Chris, two more graphs with non-zero origins sneaked in there... ;)

Re the 750 EVO, your review gave me the definite impression that it is inferior to the 850 EVO (especially for write performance, steady state, mixed loads and TBW ratings), so why is the 850 EVO being replaced by an inferior model? Tech sites should call out Samsung for doing this, it's a bad move backwards IMO. The TBW ratings are particularly worrying, and only a 3 year warranty! And is this why 850 EVO prices have been rising recently? (not just because of the changing exchange rate I mean, it was happening anyway) ie. to make the 750 EVO more attractive? With it's lesser specs, it's more likely that buyers will be happier to consider alternatives.

Btw, no sign of the SL308 in the UK yet.

Ian.

The 850 Evo is not being replaced by the 750 Evo, it's being supplemented. The 750 Evo is a budget drive, the 850 Evo is a midrange drive, and the 850 Pro and 950 Pro are high-end drives.

I think Tom's is just replacing the 850 Evo with the 750 Evo in their benchmarks for the budget segment, because it's a more reasonable matchup.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
ROFL! Talk about swallowing the marketing spin. :D Supplemented? Seriously?? :D:D

And you're missing my point, the entire original popularity of the 850 EVO was because it was competitive with budget products from rivals, proving that Samsung was perfectly capable of pricing it that low and still make a profit. As I said before, in the UK the 250GB dropped as low as 53 UKP at the start of this year, but now it's back up to almost 80 UKP (some of that is exchange rate sliding, but it was already above 70 before Brexit market stupidity kicked in).

Also, the 750 EVO is one of the most expensive budget models available, more costly than the 850 EVO was just a few months ago.

Fact is, Samsung already had a budget priced model which was worth buying precisely because it was so much better than rival products, ie. the 850 EVO. We don't need the 750 EVO, it's a mishmash product which only exists because Samsung has realised people are willing to pay more for the 850 EVO. Remember it was Samsung who constantly said the future of flash was 3D NAND, yet suddenly we have these 750 EVO thing which old style NAND paired with a newer controller, and for what? Worse specs all round!

Feel free to believe the PR if you like, but there's no denying the 750 EVO is a product that costs much more than the 850 EVO did back in January, with slowe performance, half the TBW, a shorter warranty and it's more expensive than the SSD Plus, V300 and BX200. Nobody would buy it if the 850 EVO was still priced sensibly.

IMO the decent "budget" model today is the SK Hynix Canvas SL301, it costs exactly what the 850 EVO did back in January (53 UKP) and performs very well according to reviews, actually scoring better than the 850 EVO does for AS-SSD.

Ian.

The 850 Evo has never competed with the new range of budget planar TLC drives. They drove pricing lower than Samsung was prepared to go with the 850 Evo. And as you say, even the 750 Evo usually costs a little more than them.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
That makes no sense at all. :D The 850 EVO did drop down to 53 UKP a few months ago, it absolutely competed with ALL the budget models! For many months, it made no sense whatsoever (at least here in the UK) to buy anything other than the 850 EVO, it was faster, cheaper and came with a longer warranty than anything else.

There's no reason at all for the 850 EVO to be as expensive as it is now. The SL301 costs exactly the same as the 850 EVO did back in January. Samsung and sellers have simply made the 850 EVO more expensive because it's been so popular, and then slid in the inferior 750 EVO to fill the gap, gouge some cash.

Why aren't tech sites calling manufacturers and sellers out on this kind of market/product manipulation? The 750 EVO costs more than the 850 EVO did a few months ago and yet it's nowhere near as good a product, not by miles. The only thing worse is ordinary consumers buying into this nonsense. And it still doesn't explain why Samsung itself said 3D NAND is the future, only to then bring out a new product that doesn't use it, runs slower, costs more than it was selling its 3D NAND product for just a few months before, has a shorter warranty and a rotten TBW. QED.

You can downvote me all you like, I'm posting facts here. What do you mean "they" drove pricing lower? "prepared" to go? Give me a break. :D You mean sellers sold the 850 EVO at a loss? They somehow bullied Samsung, a company with one of the worst reps for market strongarm tactics? Sorry I don't believe that for one minute. They still make a profit on these sales.

Ian.

There may have been an unusual fluctuation of prices in the UK, but the overall picture is that Samsung just stopped cutting the price on the 850 Evo, where planar TLC drives kept on going. It's not surprising really, not only is the 850 Evo faster and higher-endurance, but it could also bank on all the old launch reviews.

The 750 Evo is mostly for system integrators, so if it doesn't make a lot of sense at retail then I don't think Samsung really cares. It'll still sell some units anyway, just because it's Samsung.

musang

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I bought this (250GB)just now to replaced my broken EVO 850(500GB,purchased 2.5year ago).
Hope this product is good.
Currently i still cant give review,but the price really worthit.

Price drop. That's why you always have to take launch prices with a grain of salt, especially for SSDs.

Not much to tell really, since WD was due to take over SanDisk at the beginning of July all shipment of stock where held or pulled back the last couple of weeks of June. So WD could show good sales with they resumed shipping SSDs in July.

WD is not working with those that helped put SanDisk on the map and is starting off with a new set of Distys to move the SanDisk line. Not sure how this will effect the line but many with knowledge and experience pushing the line may not have access to the SanDisk line under WD. Which is no big deal there are lots of options for them to switch to.

Status
Not open for further replies.