News SK hynix's in-house designed PCIe 5.0 SSD breaks cover — Platinum P51 targets top-notch speed and lower idle power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no real interest in pcie gen 5 drives atm because they have thermal issues & most solutions don't work well( or at all) if you have a big ole gpu in ur system.

Biggest reason is what games or programs can make use of that speed? Not many if at all. Will those that do shave any significant time off the loading or copy times?

Apr 1, 2020
Biggest reason is what games or programs can make use of that speed? Not many if at all. Will those that do shave any significant time off the loading or copy times?
Data centers, servers, and HPCs can, as well as game consoles as they're designed explicitly for it, but as for typical desktops you're not going to notice a difference between a P31 Gold (PCIe 3) and P51 Platinum (PCIe 5) outside of storage benchmarks.

Mar 20, 2024
I have no real interest in pcie gen 5 drives atm because they have thermal issues & most solutions don't work well( or at all) if you have a big ole gpu in ur system.
I have not found this to be the case. I have never seen mine exceed 54c with just the motherboard heatsink, and it lives right beside a 4080. Gaming, phot/video editing, image backups etc. don't even phase it. Synthetic benchmarks generate temps that are artificially scary, no one redlines everything all the time.

Reactions: cyrusfox
PCIe 5.0 drives aren't an improvement in random IO over their PCIe 4.0 counterparts or I might be interested. High end PCIe 4.0 drives were a pretty big improvement over their PCIe 3.0 counterparts here (random write saw the biggest improvement) which gave them universal value whether utilizing the sequential or not.

I've been a fan of the SK Hynix drives since they hit the retail space (and their Solidigm brethren) so it'll be interesting to see how the performance shakes out here. I doubt there will be any big bump outside of sequential, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.