SK8V FX51 - overclocking madness

I just purchased SK8V and FX51 and this is my first AMD chip ever!
(I manage to get free pentiums in my line of work)
Best thing was that I managed to get the FX51 for £270 inc VAT as it
was on a clearance list !! (not £400-500 everywhere else!)

ok, so I brought myself a 120GB SATA (Seagate Barracuda) disk as well
to increase overall performance, I guessed that a decent PSU with SATA
connectors would also be a good buy so I purchased an ASAKA 460W (AK
P460FG-BL)

- I received my parts in a few days, set it all up - going through
various problems of the SATA controller type and drivers for windows
installation (flopppy disk was not connected properly also!)
So I've had a bit of a poo time.

So now, the system is up and I've got manual settings in the BIOS

voltage 1.60
multiplier = 11
HTT = 215.2
and it overclocks to 2367.1Mhz (not bad for a newbie with a 2.2Ghz
chip!)

I've had a lot of trouble with the system not POSTing - when I finally
decided to plug my speakers in and see if the ASUS Speach Error system
said anything, it did! "System Failure - the CPU has failed"

Now, this is where it gets wierd and I'm looking for explainations
regarding this:

The PSU has an external switch, if the system were to hang and I would
turn the PC off with the !PC! switch - when I start up again the
keyboard does not flash indicating that the system has hung!
If I turn off the !PSU! switch, the keyb lights up! - now... NOT ALL
the time does the P.C POST, I have to sit here for ages trying to get
into the BIOS so I can lower one of the settings so it can boot
properly.

As soon as I up the HTT to say 220 or 218 the system either hangs or
in the latter comes up with garbage.

When I'm upping my HTT, do I up my voltage ? and by how much?

How can I set my multiplier above 11? (>2.2Ghz) i.e. what sort of
settings do I need for voltage?

With my current settings, the ram frequency at 139.2 (which is
obviously 278.4Mhz)
OK, that said.. does Memory have ANYTHING to do with overclocking
LIMIT at all?
Because I've got some RAM as well (you need that!) its 2 x 512MB of
DDR 266 ECC, reg, Infiniteon (2.5-3-3-3CL 1CMD - whatever that
means?). So, this RAM is ok.. they were free and hopefully in a couple
of months I'm gonna get some 2x512 TwinX corsair 3200LLPT and then buy
another pack again in a couple more months.

Any help would be much appreciated, any insights into what I'm doing
would be great.. and also if anyone knows why my speakers crackle when
I touch case would be apprec too ;) - just gonna go to my brothers now
to get some help on this crackling! He says its shorting, which aint
good - but I know he wants to try AutoCAD on it!)

Thanks and Kind regards -Robin

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>hopefully in a couple
> of months I'm gonna get some 2x512 TwinX corsair 3200LLPT

How high does the fsb go on that mobo. I'd be looking at PC4000. See
xtremesystems.org and overclockers.com for more A64 oc'ing info.

rms

I Thought the cpu was a 200fsb! if you are using pc2100 (266fsb) then no
wonder its messing up when it would need pc3200 at least.

doughy

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >hopefully in a couple
> > of months I'm gonna get some 2x512 TwinX corsair 3200LLPT
>
> How high does the fsb go on that mobo. I'd be looking at PC4000. See
> xtremesystems.org and overclockers.com for more A64 oc'ing info.
>
> rms

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message news:<ccjyc.736$Pt.443@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> >hopefully in a couple
> > of months I'm gonna get some 2x512 TwinX corsair 3200LLPT
>
> How high does the fsb go on that mobo. I'd be looking at PC4000. See
> xtremesystems.org and overclockers.com for more A64 oc'ing info.
>
> rms

Ok thanks for the urls, its all a little confusing at the moment for
me... however:

Stepless Frequency Selection allows from 200-300Mhz (1Mhz increments)
CPU Frequency from 800-4000Mhz
So it runs fine 200 x 11 @1.5v
Any higher and the on-board sound device fails - although I had it
running at 2.4 yesterday, it was far too unstable and wouldn't boot
consecutively.

Allowed memory is PC1600-PC3200 as long as its registered ECC.

Question:
Should my CPU be failing (consecutively) when I overclock it badly??
Sometimes I need to sit for 20mins turning on and off again!?!

Thanks !

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> > >hopefully in a couple
> > > of months I'm gonna get some 2x512 TwinX corsair 3200LLPT
> >
> > How high does the fsb go on that mobo. I'd be looking at PC4000.
See
> > xtremesystems.org and overclockers.com for more A64 oc'ing info.
> >
> > rms
>
> Ok thanks for the urls, its all a little confusing at the moment for
> me... however:
>
> Stepless Frequency Selection allows from 200-300Mhz (1Mhz increments)
> CPU Frequency from 800-4000Mhz
> So it runs fine 200 x 11 @1.5v
> Any higher and the on-board sound device fails - although I had it
> running at 2.4 yesterday, it was far too unstable and wouldn't boot
> consecutively.
>
> Allowed memory is PC1600-PC3200 as long as its registered ECC.
>
> Question:
> Should my CPU be failing (consecutively) when I overclock it badly??
> Sometimes I need to sit for 20mins turning on and off again!?!
>
> Thanks !
Since the memory controller is IN THE CPU I would wait to attempt
overclocking until you get ram thats rated for 200Mhz FSB (PC3200 DDR) Or
better and stop Overclcocking the cpu for now.
OZoNE

"OZoNE" <ozonerr@zoominternet.net> wrote in message news:<40ccc370$1_6@corp.newsgroups.com>...
> "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > How high does the fsb go on that mobo. I'd be looking at PC4000.
> See
> > > xtremesystems.org and overclockers.com for more A64 oc'ing info.
> > >
> > > rms
> >
> > Ok thanks for the urls, its all a little confusing at the moment for
> > me... however:
> >
> > Stepless Frequency Selection allows from 200-300Mhz (1Mhz increments)
> > CPU Frequency from 800-4000Mhz
> > So it runs fine 200 x 11 @1.5v
> > Any higher and the on-board sound device fails - although I had it
> > running at 2.4 yesterday, it was far too unstable and wouldn't boot
> > consecutively.
> >
> > Allowed memory is PC1600-PC3200 as long as its registered ECC.
> >
> > Question:
> > Should my CPU be failing (consecutively) when I overclock it badly??
> > Sometimes I need to sit for 20mins turning on and off again!?!
> >
> > Thanks !
> Since the memory controller is IN THE CPU I would wait to attempt
> overclocking until you get ram thats rated for 200Mhz FSB (PC3200 DDR) Or
> better and stop Overclcocking the cpu for now.
> OZoNE

I've been playing around with it a lot since my last post.. and I've
got some nice results so far.
220 x 11 @ 1.6v = 2419.8
The memory runs at 142.3Mhz (284.6) and everything feels really good.
I upped it a little more and it died on me - I think thats the
limitation on the RAM???

I've got NO cooling assistance apart from PSU fan, the stock cpu fan
(however, the case is left open) the heat runs around 48c idle and 61c
completely loaded.

You say I should wait to get better RAM before overclocking.. I'm
dying to get a water cooler and / or PC3200 RAM (although rms (above)
recommends PC4000 for O/C)

If everything is running fine and I'm getting good results with speed
and heat limits... (I was told upto 70c - but stay below 60c)
What sort of damage could I be doing at the moment? I thought as long
as ur within the heat limits then nothing will damage?

- Thanks - Robin

> "OZoNE" <ozonerr@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> > "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message

PC4000.
> > See

> > > Ok thanks for the urls, its all a little confusing at the moment for
> > > me... however:
> > >
> > > Stepless Frequency Selection allows from 200-300Mhz (1Mhz increments)
> > > CPU Frequency from 800-4000Mhz
> > > So it runs fine 200 x 11 @1.5v
> > > Any higher and the on-board sound device fails - although I had it
> > > running at 2.4 yesterday, it was far too unstable and wouldn't boot
> > > consecutively.
> > >
> > > Allowed memory is PC1600-PC3200 as long as its registered ECC.
> > >
> > > Question:
> > > Should my CPU be failing (consecutively) when I overclock it badly??
> > > Sometimes I need to sit for 20mins turning on and off again!?!
> > >
> > > Thanks !
> > Since the memory controller is IN THE CPU I would wait to attempt
> > overclocking until you get ram thats rated for 200Mhz FSB (PC3200 DDR)
Or
> > better and stop Overclcocking the cpu for now.
> > OZoNE

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
>
> I've been playing around with it a lot since my last post.. and I've
> got some nice results so far.
> 220 x 11 @ 1.6v = 2419.8
> The memory runs at 142.3Mhz (284.6) and everything feels really good.
> I upped it a little more and it died on me - I think thats the
> limitation on the RAM???
>
> I've got NO cooling assistance apart from PSU fan, the stock cpu fan
> (however, the case is left open) the heat runs around 48c idle and 61c
> completely loaded.
>
> You say I should wait to get better RAM before overclocking.. I'm
> dying to get a water cooler and / or PC3200 RAM (although rms (above)
> recommends PC4000 for O/C)
>
> If everything is running fine and I'm getting good results with speed
> and heat limits... (I was told upto 70c - but stay below 60c)
> What sort of damage could I be doing at the moment? I thought as long
> as ur within the heat limits then nothing will damage?
>
> - Thanks - Robin

Heat seems High at this point and the ram is running out of synch with cpu
FSB.
If its stable...fantastic,,,but for best performance you want to run Memory
and cpu fsb at same speeds.
I suggest at least PC3200 Ram for a true 200/200 Fsb cpu/mem.
PC3500 or PC4000 will allow for higher bus speeds on the ram....but to run
in synch with cpu @ 220Mhz FSB at least a PC3500 Then.
Just sayin with it outa synch could be some of the stability issuses you
had...also the load temps could cause stability probs too.

My Barton 2500+ doesnt go over 48c loaded @ 1.70Vcore/2400Mhz 12x200.
Thermaltake Volcano 9+ at medium speed (3500 RPM)
OZoNE

> Heat seems High at this point and the ram is running out of synch with cpu
> FSB.
> If its stable...fantastic,,,but for best performance you want to run Memory
> and cpu fsb at same speeds.
> I suggest at least PC3200 Ram for a true 200/200 Fsb cpu/mem.
> PC3500 or PC4000 will allow for higher bus speeds on the ram....but to run
> in synch with cpu @ 220Mhz FSB at least a PC3500 Then.
> Just sayin with it outa synch could be some of the stability issuses you
> had...also the load temps could cause stability probs too.
>
> My Barton 2500+ doesnt go over 48c loaded @ 1.70Vcore/2400Mhz 12x200.
> Thermaltake Volcano 9+ at medium speed (3500 RPM)
> OZoNE

so could I run my FSB @ 250Mhz with PC4000 ?
At the moment it fails to post at anything above 220 ! (Do you know
why?)

ok.. I'm also looking for decent cooling ... you have a volcano 9+
...Isnt that just a heatsink / fan ? but you manage to run 12x200 at
just 48?!?
I was looking for liquid cooling .. any comments?

Would you say that your cpu and mine would differ in heat ranges? or
is mine high cos its out of the box?

I've put it down to 210 x 11 @ 1.5v and its 50c when loaded .. why so
high? is it the stock fan possibly?