[SOLVED] Skipping SSDs Entirely for New Build

gamestoned

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
pauljoseph.pro
Hi everyone,

My last build was 5yrs back & I'm seriously considering to do an upgrade to 4K Gaming + Production PC for my Photohraphy edits and my Videos.

Below is the spec I'm considering.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card
SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium

Questions I have.
  1. Is there any advantage of using SSD vs M.2 in 2020
  2. Is it fine to skip the SSD (2TB 860) & replace it with a M.2 SSD.
  3. Will there be any bottle necks for using 3 NVME M.2 SSDs on the X570 + 3900x
  4. Should I wait for the next iteration of DD5 + PCI Gen 4 processors + motherboards + RAM to hit the market?

Solution
  1. Depends on the use, moving large files between two NVME SSDs is an example of a benefit.
  2. I personally wouldnt since you already have two NVME drives in there, you dont need one for bulk storage too.
  3. Same as number 2, three NVME drives would be a waste since you arent transferring between all the drives at once.
  4. Hard to say. If you need a system now then dont bother waiting, something better is always coming, so build when you need it.
  1. Depends on the use, moving large files between two NVME SSDs is an example of a benefit.
  2. I personally wouldnt since you already have two NVME drives in there, you dont need one for bulk storage too.
  3. Same as number 2, three NVME drives would be a waste since you arent transferring between all the drives at once.
  4. Hard to say. If you need a system now then dont bother waiting, something better is always coming, so build when you need it.

Solution