[SOLVED] [Sky broadband, UK] Proper down/up speeds, but high ping and packets loss.

randomj

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
Since last week our internet connection became unstable?. Out of the blue i wouldn't be able to even play a yt video at 144p quality on my phone, even thought i was the only one connected to the router and i was in the same room as it. A quick reset of the router would help for a few minutes, but the problem would comeback. So i started googling and trying out all kinds of things, even tho i guess most of them were unnecessary.

Things i already tried
*Full reset of the router.
*Switching between wifi channels
*netsh commands on pc.
*Installing newest drivers for my wifi card on PC.
*Using ethernet cable instead of wifi on pc. (didn't help)

After the connection would start to get worse, i tried to run a troubleshooter on the wifi network, it would resolve the problem by "reseting the wireless adapter", and for a few minutes the ping actually would be alright (between 30 and 40). And in the games and while pinging 8.8.8.8. Manually disabling and enabling wifi network does the same, a temporary fix for about 5minutes or less most of the time.

Router statistics

This was done after disabling and enabling the wifi network, few minutes in, the ping started to skyrocket again.

Pinging

Wifi card on pc:
qualcomm atheros ar9287, but the connection is rubbish on all devices connected, and the situation is the same while using ethernet cable.

Router: SR102 from Sky
Firmware Version 2.91.2110.R
DSL Firmware Version A2pv6F039m1.d24m
Socket, not mine, but looks like it's the same(with 2 ports)

Solution
I would like to see you retest it with an Ethernet cable. Is the ping from computer to router still high? If you had such a variable ping time when directly connected to the router it would be a sure indication that there is a major issue with your router or with your computer.

Jumps in ping time are more often associated with data uploads than data downloads. A big part of the reason is that our devices have a connection to the router that is much faster than the connection from the router to the ISP and as a result they tend to overwhelm (technically ... fill the buffers) the router. It's like when everyone is trying to leave work at once and there is only 1 set of doors. People have to queue up at the doors and wait to get out...
Pinging google is a good idea, but it is testing your WiFi, your ISP, and the internet all at once and not indicating which of these is the problem. I would suggest instead setting up 2 pings:

1. Ping your router. (192.168.1.1 or something similar) ... this will test your own network. If you see high pings, then the issue is with your network (with WiFi it is often interference).

2. Ping your ISP. You will have to a tracert to find the ISP's router IP address. Do "tracert 8.8.8.8" and it should be the 2nd address on the list. It might be the 3rd if you have a router and a modem in your home. If the first ping is good, but you see high ping on the this one, then the issue might be with the link to your ISP (a phone line since you have DSL). You will need to contact your ISP and ask them to test the line for issues. They may need to send a technician to repair it if it is the phone line.

randomj

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

1. https://imgur.com/a/ksbkJL8
Whenever the ping is alright with the router, it also goes down when pinging google.

2. https://imgur.com/a/j0t6KeD

Yeah ... those pings to your router are way too high. The problem is with your network. This is with the router in the same room?

So, either the router is super busy with something (massive dump to iCloud or something) or you have a lot of WiFi interference (ok, could be something less common like a loose antenna, but start with the easy stuff). Have you ever tried changing the WiFi channel? This can help in some cases. Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi?

randomj

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

No, it's in a different room, but all there is between is basically just a door and while using ehternet cable the problem stayed. Tried 1/6/11/13 channels, Sticked with the 1 as it seems the most consistent. Got the wifi analyzer on phone, channel 1 seems quite empty. It's on 2.4GHz wifi. No option for 5GHz. Now my flatmates also at home so there are 6 devices connected in total, but i got the same issues even with just my PC connected to the wifi.

https://imgur.com/a/fh2vYQi

Seems ok'ish atm, but really hadn't been that good for like the whole week.
Jumps might be from other people loading a page playing some kind of video i guess ?

Also ordered a new faceplate and an adsl cable, also thinking about getting another router from ebay.

faceplate

adsl cable

I would like to see you retest it with an Ethernet cable. Is the ping from computer to router still high? If you had such a variable ping time when directly connected to the router it would be a sure indication that there is a major issue with your router or with your computer.

Jumps in ping time are more often associated with data uploads than data downloads. A big part of the reason is that our devices have a connection to the router that is much faster than the connection from the router to the ISP and as a result they tend to overwhelm (technically ... fill the buffers) the router. It's like when everyone is trying to leave work at once and there is only 1 set of doors. People have to queue up at the doors and wait to get out. People who want to get in have to wait also.

The new faceplace and cable can't hurt. If you do look at a new router, feel free to link it and I will give my opinion.

Solution