[SOLVED] Sky ISP. Changing out the Sky Q Router for a more efficient product?

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience of changing the current Sky Q Modem Router (UK) for a better product?

The current Sky Q Router is very very poor and if anybody has any workarounds with a similar system that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
What feature do you think is so bad.

From what i can tell it is has a DSL modem in it. That will greatly limit your ability to replace it. It depends if the device also has other features used by your ISP that prevents you from replacing it. You need to check the ISP for a list of device they say will work.

Key thing to remember is the DSL is always going to be the bottleneck.

No ISP makes their own chips. I don't know this router in detail but almost every other router used by ISP use very common cpu and wifi chips. This means it will perform very similarly to any other brand of router with the same chipsets. Years ago you would find difference because microwave amplifiers where expensive but now it is all...
What feature do you think is so bad.

From what i can tell it is has a DSL modem in it. That will greatly limit your ability to replace it. It depends if the device also has other features used by your ISP that prevents you from replacing it. You need to check the ISP for a list of device they say will work.

Key thing to remember is the DSL is always going to be the bottleneck.

No ISP makes their own chips. I don't know this router in detail but almost every other router used by ISP use very common cpu and wifi chips. This means it will perform very similarly to any other brand of router with the same chipsets. Years ago you would find difference because microwave amplifiers where expensive but now it is all standardized. Almost every router in existence transmit very close to the maximum legal power so they will have very similar coverage.

Now if it is some software feature that can be different but you are going to be limited by the need to have a DSL Modem.

Reactions: kanewolf
Solution

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
Thank you for your reply hugely appreciate that thanks.

As you indicated it’s quite well-known that the current sky Q router was originally set for the US market via this power supply and even with the firmware upgrades it still it is not a reliable router with intermittency and continual redundancy over WiFi.

I have done a fair amount of research and come to the conclusion that if you purchase either a ADSL or DSL modem Router with a good strong spec this does alleviate most problems.
Once Mr Amazon delivers the return I will let you know how I get on and general reply.

Again thank you very very much for your contact and apologies again for the late reply.